Photo: Baby axies

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking into getting a jet black melanoid and after my experience with Natsu who was suppose to be a black melanoid and is a grey I want to be sure I get the right color this time.

Can you please post pics of your mel axolotls as babies and what color they became as adults?

Unless you get a jet black adult, there is never a guarantee. They are always changing colors im learning ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376704047.795745.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376704073.696292.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376704083.078588.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376704120.062452.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376704148.007634.jpg

Oh i forgot to mention, see how toothless looks jetblack there? As he grew a little bit more look how he has changed. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376704338.965671.jpg

If you are looking for an exact color id suggest going for an adult who is less likely to change

Your toothless is still MUCH darker than my Natsu, Don't get me wrong I love Natsu but I really want a jet black lotl

36611_10200313254250296_735384942_n.jpg

I wonder if natsu will get darker though as he ages... Ive learned that they are completely unpredictable! :p

we are still waiting to sex Natsu ... If she is a girl she is getting a name change lol ... And I think I agree with you ... I can always get more lotls later :)

I've actually got a jet black melanoid and a jet black wild type! I'm hoping at some point my guys make babies with my golden. It's a shame I can't ship overseas! The pic's are of Fury, my melanoid. He was about 13cm when we got him and now he's 23cm, hasn't changed colour at all in that time!

If your heart is set on a black melanoid I'd try and buy an older one, less chance of getting the colour wrong :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,387
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0714.jpg
    IMG_0714.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 13,022
I've actually got a jet black melanoid and a jet black wild type! I'm hoping at some point my guys make babies with my golden. It's a shame I can't ship overseas! The pic's are of Fury, my melanoid. He was about 13cm when we got him and now he's 23cm, hasn't changed colour at all in that time!

If your heart is set on a black melanoid I'd try and buy an older one, less chance of getting the colour wrong :rolleyes:

And yes, Fury was on gravel!! it was before I knew any better and luckily it was only a week or two. My axies haven't been on gravel since I found this site.

I thought mine was a black melanoid - untl he developed gorgeous golden iridophores! He was dark and slightly ottled when we got him - he developed gold spots within a week.

Attachments

• P1020010.jpg
    P1020010.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 566
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back