Axie? Are you dead?

Morrison

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Do you sometimes take a look at your axie and think he/she is dead? So that you keep staring at your lotl and wait for a 'gill wiggle' to know that everything is OK?

They sometimes scare the hell out of me.

I figured floating upside down with little cartoon 'X's in their eyes was a good bet....:tongue:

Oh something like this, and still smiling:

Attachments

• deadlotl.jpg
    deadlotl.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 2,952
Another thing: "XOTL! Where are you?" And I can't find him anywhere. Then I see him in the smallest hide.

When I'm doing anything to my tanks I stick my adults in a solid black bucket. And I always have a mini heart attack when my wildtype blends in so perfectly I can't see her and start feeling all around in the bucket for her. xD

5y7ege3a.jpg
this is probably my scariest moment. I took a few pictures because i thought it was funny and then i realised he looked stiff(i touched him and he even felt stiff) and i started to freak out a bit and started to try to get him unstuck and that is when he started to move.
I think echo is the only one that plays dead.. On a regular basis. The other ones normally are always flicking gills, moving at least a tiny bit once and a while but I dont know.. Its like echo dies temporarely.

When my axies were juveniles they would "sleep" floating in the water. I woke up one morning to find both axies floating motionless in the tank. Even a few pokes didn't do anything at first. :eek::p

One of my leucistics gets pretty pale when inactive. It's a bit too pale. It's "you look so dead right now" pale and she doesn't flick her gills often so I'm having about 3 heart attacks a day.

It's a conspiracy.

I have heartstopping moments at least once a day, I've even had my boyfriend ring me when I've been in work, in a panic as one of the 'kids' looks dead; cue mass panic among my colleagues as he actually said 'can you get Charis to ring me at home please I think one of the kids has died', message frantically passed on by a traumatised colleague, I'm all blase saying' tell him to just poke it to see if it wiggles, if that doesn't work try wafting a waxworm under her nose'. Horrified looks from colleagues all of whom I have worked with for 10 years, I had to remind them I have no human children, all of my kids being either furry or slimey. I think I was about 10 mins away from being arrested for child neglect ;)

Last night Banana was 'sleeping' in her plant. Upside down. I almost died!

So glad others have these moments. I've got to stop poking them if I ever want them to not hate my hand.

During my last visit to my mom in Holland I bought 2 axolotls to take back to Israel with me. Kept them in my room, but slept on the couch because it was more comfy. So one morning my mom gently wakes me, saying "I have something very sad to tell you. One of your axolotls died."
I'm wide awake but a gut feeling has me stay calm and wait with the grief until it's legit. I come into my room, take a look at the little tank, and I see one of the axolotls' backside peeking out from underneath the filter. The other one was clearly alive. But the one under the filter was sitting on its belly like it's supposed to. So I poked it a few times, nothing happened. My mom sadly tells me this is the dead one. I'm like "riiiight", gently tug at his tail, and send him speeding through the tank :D

Just last week i came home from work and my mum goes "layna i think one of your axies has broken its leg and died"
So im all like "what, what do you mean" *walks up to the tanks to investigate*
Brain is sat against the side of the tank, very pale with his back leg twisted up against the side of the tank, im like "nahh hes just sleeping it fine" as if to prove the point he proceeds to put his leg down and swim off to the corner where he sits and looks at me for food.
Hehe, my mum was like "god hes been like that al day and ive been worried sick thinking about how to tell you" Bless her!

I read this thread a few days ago, and had a good chuckle over some of the replies.
Yesturday I brought Chernobyl home and he had a great day exploring his tank. All good there.
This morning I fed him, told him to be a good boy, and took off for work.
When I got home, I looked in his tank; no Chernobyl. Panicky, I looked on the surface, no Chernobyl. Finally I found him hanging out on a plant being all cool.
Later on, I looked back in the tank, and this time he really was floating, just under the surface in a C shape. I almost freaked out. Left the room for a minute, and he was back in his corner waiting for food!
I think this was payback for scaring him this morning, so much that he nearly flew out of his tank. Poor baby.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back