Am I doing this right?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have read every care article I can find on Cynops cyanurus And I am pretty sure the only things I have left to get are some floating plants, a small land area , and a screen top. Also any first hand tips would be great, I am expecting 2-3 in about a week.

Tank is already cycled.

When I have some more money I also plan on some more anubias and crypts

IMG_51731_zpscdd5cd33.jpg

the mesh topper and betta log are here :D Tank is completely done now ... I think.

Looks great! Maybe add some "branchier" plants as yours are on the leafy side. My C. Orientalis (very similar species) love the plants like sprite plants with long sturdy branches and hang around on them like monkeys using their tails or a single hind leg. Not essential but so fun to watch :)

I need to get some Anacharis ( elodea) to float but there is not enough gravel to plant anything, I will have to get more.

I have these plastic ones ... Would that be good enough? I can't order more yet
970410_10200313255810335_1842049842_n.jpg

Yeah those plastic ones look good, they'll definitely enjoy hanging off of them! Mine enjoy cabomba and sprite plants most, and I can get them for 1 US cent a plant here:)

My new tank set up :) The neon gravel came with the tank so I just kept it lol.

Overview

IMG_53261_zps4f98e9a9.jpg

Front View

IMG_53251_zpsfe15fdc5.jpg

The gravel can impact the caudates if the caudate eats the gravel by mistake.

This is not an axolotl tank :) Its for fire belly newts :) Gravel is safe for them.

I have researched I would not risk impaction :)

Looks good! Just make sure none of the pieces of gravel can fit in a newts mouth

Gravel is a bad choice of substrate for a number of reasons. If you wish to use any substrate go with very fine silica sand. Otherwise just go without a substrate which is by far the most practical option.

I would strongly recommend substituting those plastic plants for large amounts of live plants. What Hypselotriton love is a VERY densely planted tank where you have no big open spaces at the surface.

I plan to replace the plastic with real most are silk or live. I will try to take the gravel out

Ok I tried again. Sorry I know the tank needs to be wiped off.

IMG_53381_zpsaa8d0807.jpg

Even more plants Elli :D

I would be tempted to get another couple of bunches of elodea to add while the other plants establish. Your newts will love to hang out in a jungle of plants.

That was just all I could get my hands on for now :) I plan on more plants :) Once the elodea goes on sale I will pick up like half a dozen and plant this tank and natsu's

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back