First attempt at slate bottom

RupertxGiles

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rupertxgiles
So after not being happy with my 40 gallon having sand in it, we decided to try slate bottom. Any criticism or ideas ? My girls will be going back into it tomorrow and I just want it to be awesome . :)

Attachments

• 20130818_204340.jpg
    20130818_204340.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 11,218
  • 20130818_204340-1.jpg
    20130818_204340-1.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 911
That looks aweosme! is it siliconed down or just sitting on the bottom?

It looks great!

The piece placed on top of the rock looks to be a little sharp, you might wish to run your fingers over it again and sand/file off any of the thin edges.

If it's just placed in then you will find that loads of waste will get trapped underneath and cause havoc with your water parameters.

A friend of mine has theirs siliconed down with all the gaps filled in, it looks great! The silicone took a week to dry and cure, but was worth the wait.

It looks great!

The piece placed on top of the rock looks to be a little sharp, you might wish to run your fingers over it again and sand/file off any of the thin edges.

If it's just placed in then you will find that loads of waste will get trapped underneath and cause havoc with your water parameters.

A friend of mine has theirs siliconed down with all the gaps filled in, it looks great! The silicone took a week to dry and cure, but was worth the wait.

Thanks for the comments guys!! It's half slate half bareblttom. I didn't silicone the slate down..perhaps I should before I put my girls in? This aquarium says two days before you can use it in water. It'll be extra work but maybe its what's best in the long run .

siliconing it is a good idea, stops dirt and poop from getting underneath and sending your water parameters crazy!

siliconing it is a good idea, stops dirt and poop from getting underneath and sending your water parameters crazy!

Ugh ..gunna drain it and do that. I just figured they are so heavy and flat poop wouldn't get under but better be safe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back