Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Dumb question...

Jbradybvb

Reaction score
So my 2 fire belly newts are underwater (FINALLY). It's been the longest time and they wouldn't go in the water at all but I just went up to the tank and they were sitting underwater. I still don't know if they're eating but I figured that them being in the water is the first step. So here's my question, now that they're underwater, what do I feed them? While they were on land I fed them waxworms and crickets (not even sure if they actually ate them) but now what do I feed them since those bugs would drown underwater? I have frozen bloodworms but I'm not sure if they'll eat it especially since I don't think they have been eating at all. I tried putting a bucket of water for a couple weeks outside to get some mosquito larvae but of course with my luck, no mosquitoes laid their eggs in there.

Btw, the tank is a 10 gallon with about 4 gallons full, lots of fake plants but 1 real plant, a log, and a couple places of dry land.

Thanks

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Small or chopped earthworm will be good :) Could you maybe add a photo of your newts and their aquarium so we can admire them :)

Jbradybvb

Reaction score
I feel bad chopping up a worm haha I just couldn't do it unless I found an already dead one (which I find all the time around my chicken coop). After the worm drowns would the newts still eat it?

Jbradybvb

Reaction score
Here's the tank

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 148
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1