Attack of the NITRITES!

axolotllove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tank background:

Had it up and running for about a month before adding axolotls. Added axolotls about three weeks ago. It is a 20 gallon long with two subadults. For substrate, has tiles secured to the bottom with aquarium safe silicone. Fake plastic plants and two marimo moss balls. One terra cotta pot sawed in half to make two hides. A HOB filter, makeshift screen cover instead of aquarium hood and a bubble wall to help keep temps cool. Feeding them nightcrawlers and occasional frozen bloodworm treat, but not lately because of water conditions.

Perimeters (per API Freshwater Master Test Kit):

[*]pH 7.6
[*]Ammonia 0 ppm
[*]Nitrite 2.0-5.0 ppm EEK!
[*]Nitrate 10 ppm

I was told by another axolotl owner to pick up some "cycle" for the tank which I did and have been adding recommended dose. I was also told not to feed for the next three days which I have also done. The water perimeters listed above are the exact same perimeters I had three days ago. :confused:

Well, for the moment, I'm going to toss them a couple worms because they are practically performing tricks in hopes of a treat! Then what...another water change or...??? Anxiously, waiting for advice.

Having the sane problem!!! Except I also feed pellets sometimes, and have two additional plants. I got the cycle zyme or whatever, and put half a dose in, and I'll do a full dose when I have a water change... I suggest you get more plants, in the meantime.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Doh! Thanks, emmyk, I just found your thread from a few days ago. Do you think it could be the Seattle water? I'm kidding. My community tank with tropical fish is doing great so I guess it's not that. n:happy:

It just takes a little while to grow on enough nitrite munching bacteria. This is normal. Your ammonia processing bacteria are obviously working hard to produce all that nitrite, so you have the start of a cycle.

I would do small water changes little and often (say, 10% twice daily, then once daily, then every other day etc) so that you don't upset the balance too much and starve your ammonia bacteria. And feed only a little so you're not loading the system too much. Just one worm each, maybe every other day, or even every three or four days will be better than poisoning them with nitrite. You can up the feeding when your bacteria populations have built up enough to get your nitrite to zero.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you! And axolotllove what a great feeling to see another person in Seattle with an axie!^_^

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back