Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt Has Parasitic Worms...Help!

Tony G Indy

Reaction score
I have captive bred 2 alpine newts that have been in my care about 6 months or so. They have become somewhat obese lately and I have cut back feedings some. Last night I saw a long white worm hanging from the cloaca of one of the newts. The worm fell off while the newt was swimming and I took a photo through a microscope at my work today. Worm is down diagonal of picture.

The newts eat mostly live black worms, chopped earthworms and frozen bloodworms. There are live plants and some snails(trying to get rid of too).

What do I do to treat this and how did the worms get there??? Can anyone ID the worm species?

All help appreciated!

Attachments

• worm2.jpg
    worm2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,144

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble deciphering the photo. The worm is the thing that looks like a big finger? Or something smaller in the photo?

It is possible to treat newts for internal parasites, but I have no experience in this. Given that the newts don't seem to be ailing, it may be better not to rush into treating.

Tony G Indy

Reaction score
The worm is in center of photo, diagonally upper left to lower right. I didn't have a cover glass and so the picture is not real clear.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1