Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs are hatching!! what now??

Quentari

Reaction score
Right so I noticed one of my eggs had hatched! one lonely lotl swimming around. Now I hear that they eat their egg yolk for the first day or two... if he's swimming does that mean he's done that already? I can't see his egg (but it would be see-through anyway)so has he eaten it?

I have brine shrimp eggs here that I'm about to get hatching... do they NEED a bubbler or can I just put them in some water?

Oh last question... I've been trying to guess their colours for ages now, since they stopped being little white things. All of them have totally black eyes, do I have 29 melanoids? or will that change once they have actually hatched and been around for a while?

elim

Reaction score
Some of them hatch already ready to eat. But generally, you have a day or two to get some food ready.

On the brine shrimp issue, you'll need a bubbler to keep the eggs in suspension. Before my babies hatched I tried many methods to get them to hatch without one, but I'd say the most I got to hatch from a teaspoon was about 10%. With a bubbler it was higher than 95%.

Also, I had a lot of trouble with getting the water right until I collected pure sea water.

Good luck with your babies :happy:

Quentari

Reaction score
Well I'll unhook the air pump from my big tank and get some hatching. So far it's only the one that's hatched it's so tiny!!

Jen10s

Reaction score
So excited they have started to hatch for you ......

First lot hatched are now around 2.5cm & I have a mix of wild type and melanoids. Colours have changed even in the 3/4 weeks since hatching. All so cute and some already have a sassy attitude!

With BBS, I used 1 teaspoon salt / 1 litre water and had to find a way to heat the water before I had any luck. Once you find the right set up for you, it's not too bad - I've got a routine going now which is much better than when I first spoke with you.

Good luck with them, enjoy watching them grow :D

Quentari

Reaction score
So excited they have started to hatch for you ......

First lot hatched are now around 2.5cm & I have a mix of wild type and melanoids. Colours have changed even in the 3/4 weeks since hatching. All so cute and some already have a sassy attitude!

With BBS, I used 1 teaspoon salt / 1 litre water and had to find a way to heat the water before I had any luck. Once you find the right set up for you, it's not too bad - I've got a routine going now which is much better than when I first spoke with you.

Good luck with them, enjoy watching them grow :D

If I look REALLY closely some are a light grey and some are green/yellowish so I think I got wild types and melanoids too. If I shine a light in the right places some have shiny eye rings, so there's at least one wild type amongst all those melanoids!

Jcay727

Reaction score
Jealous!!!

If you we're in the UK I would purchase a couple of melanoids/wildtypes

Half the world away and all that! Not fair!

But congratulations also, remember to post some photos! :D

Quentari

Reaction score
All have hatched except three (not counting my 4 duds) so 24 babies (soon to be 27!). They started hatching just over 3 days ago, if the last ones aren't out by tomorrow morning I'll maybe give them a hand but they're all wriggling so I doubt I'll have to interfere.

Their eggs are still there, do they eat the whole egg? should I scoop out the egg sacks?

Upon closer inspection all of the greeny-yellow ones appear to have a shiny spot in their eyes, I'll assume they are Wild Types. The greys come in two "shades", light grey with spots and lighter grey with spots. I think they are only grey because they are see-through mostly BUT exciting news! Most of my grey ones are slightly darker and have no shiny spot in their eyes but a couple are almost white and I think I saw an eye spot! I might have some lecustics!

Jen10s, have you got a variety in the ones you got?

Pics coming as soon as my iPad is charged! It takes much better pics than my phone.

Quentari

Reaction score
The promised pictures! I tried to get as many as possible into each photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,382
  • IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 519

Jen10s

Reaction score
Will be jealous if you have leucistics!

Their brothers / sisters are a mixture like yours, melanoids have light grey spotty heads but darker grey bodies - no legs to be seen yet. Wild types like yours are yellow/greenish in colour - also no legs yet.

Will try to get some pics for you to compare :D

Jen10s

Reaction score
Took some pics, not very good quality sorry - love their little fat tummies :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 921

Quentari

Reaction score
three of mine still haven't hatched!! I'm trying to break them free now. Two wiggle inside their eggs and one doesn't, I think he's gone...

Jen10s

Reaction score
I accidentally hatched some by sucking them up with the turkey baster, when I squeezed the water back out, they hatched and swam off wriggling like mad.

Trying to break the eggs open is tricky, it took me ages with tweezers and sharp scissors. You might find the little not moving comes good when it's out :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!