Removing slate background

Skudo09

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi Everyone

I have basically gotten myself into a massive pet project preparing everything I need to prepare before I can get my axolotls. I have a tank that unfortunately is second hand but is the perfect size for a couple of axolotls. Lots of room to swim about and keep their own space. The catch with this tank is that the previous owner did a dodgy DIY job of gluing slate to the back wall. The slate has to go. Its edges are too sharp and there are gaps where substrate and waste can sneak behind it and get lodged there. I am not happy with it and I don't think it is safe for the axies. The tank is filthy and will need a thorough clean out. I am thinking of giving it a clean out first, then try and remove the slate somehow then do another massive clean out to get it thoroughly clean. Once that is done I need to look at getting a lid which won't be hard and then I can start getting it set up with substrate, filter, air stone, plants, hides etc and start to cycle it.

Lets just say I have my work cut out for me. I am usually not too keen on second hand tanks but this one was very cheap for its size and cabinet and I thought I would give it a go and if it doesn't work out, I will get a brand new one.

So my question is, does anyone have any ideas on how I can remove slate?

hmm tricky question. There's chemicals that will remove silicone but nothing I'd want in a tank. You could try just pulling it up if you can get a grip, some people have lots of luck with that?

Would it be easier to grab some aquarium safe silicone and fill in the gaps so waste can't get underneath? plus take a file to any sharp bits. Slate's a pretty good alternative to bare-bottom or sand and if you have a white or gold axie they show up great on it.

Or (brainwave) just put sand on top of the slate?

hmm tricky question. There's chemicals that will remove silicone but nothing I'd want in a tank. You could try just pulling it up if you can get a grip, some people have lots of luck with that?

Would it be easier to grab some aquarium safe silicone and fill in the gaps so waste can't get underneath? plus take a file to any sharp bits. Slate's a pretty good alternative to bare-bottom or sand and if you have a white or gold axie they show up great on it.

Or (brainwave) just put sand on top of the slate?

Thank you for the suggestions Quentari :) I really appreciate your assistance :)

The slate is on the wall as opposed to the ground. The gaps are quite significant so I think I would need quite a bit of silicone to block them off to prevent waste getting trapped behind it. Ideally, I would like to remove it so I might see if I can get if off without using any harsh chemicals. If that fails, I might try your suggestion of blocking off the gaps and filing the edges so at least it is not sharp.

I will see how it goes :)

Quick update, I have managed to remove all but one piece of slate which is very well stuck on so it may take some time before I can remove the last bit. Hopefully though it will eventually give and after it has been removed I am going to give the tank a good clean and then I am going to silicon on textured background to replace the slate as I suspect there will be some marks that won't come off so to cover it up and make it look pretty, textured background it is :)

Finally, after much elbow grease the last piece of slate is gone! I am very surprised by how well it has turned out after giving the tank a thorough clean. Going to give it another clean tomorrow and then once it has dried out, I will install new textured background

:)

Let us know how it looks! pictures!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back