Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl Gender Confusion

Gender Opinions

• Total voters

Liamaxolotl

Reaction score
Hi guys LIamaxolotl here. So I have been trying to figure out If my axolotls are guys or gals. I have been looking on Axolotl.com but they both look the same to me So I decided to lets you guys help me out. I have one melanoid and one leucistic axolotl. The breeder I bought both these guys from in February said the melanoid is the male and the leusictic is female. I'm hoping to start sexting them soon so before I start breeding them I would like to know their genders. :eek: If you guys can help me out that would be great.

Attachments

• DSC_0028.jpg
    DSC_0028.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 905
  • DSC_0037.jpg
    DSC_0037.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 928
  • DSC_0034.jpg
    DSC_0034.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 440

Quentari

Reaction score
As a start it looks like you have a wild type, not a melanoid, a pic of her eyes should clear that up quickly but I've never seen a green melanoid.

Your wild is female for sure, she looks very large, is that normal?

And without any other pics of your lecustic she COULD be male but I'd guess female. Can we get a birds-eye of her?

How old are they? I'd wait a year and a half before purposefully trying to breed them, one or both might suddenly decide that they aren't actually a female plus it's apparently stressful for your girls if they are too young.

Hope you didn't pay extra trying to get a melanoid...

EDIT: you can pick two at a time I just didn't pay attention)

Last edited:

Liamaxolotl

Reaction score
Ya the breeder told me the wild type was a male but I dont car if she's a girld because she's so cute! Ya she's I bit fat but I've been trying to cut down on the earthworms.:lol:
I'll try to get a eagle eye view of the leucistic. If they're both females then that's ok becuase I have a big enough tank for 5 of them! :happy:

mikeg

Reaction score
in my opinion the leucistic looks female and the wild/melaniod looks male to me. My females are twice the size of the one in the picture and all my males are about that size.

How old are they now? It may still be to young to tell.

gfsward

Reaction score
I'd say they're both females, they're both round and don't have an enlarged cloaca. That "melanoid" is almost certainly a wild type, if you shine a light on her eyes and they shine back, then she's a wild type. If the eyes don't shine back, then she's a melanoid.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I say they are both girls - but having got mine mostly wrong until they got to 8" feel free to ignore me!

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
The darkened fingertips on the leucistic leads me to believe that it is a male, but I don't really see any darkened tips on the melanoid/wild type so I would say that's a female.

pookiewn

Reaction score
Agreed with above, but the wilds tend to get white tips instead of black.

The darkened fingertips on the leucistic leads me to believe that it is a male, but I don't really see any darkened tips on the melanoid/wild type so I would say that's a female.

Liamaxolotl

Reaction score
thanks everyone for the feedback! I will wait until they fully mature and if it turns out they are females, then I will just get another male because I have lots of room for them in my 50 gallon aquarium! I love axolotl and i'm hoping to care for them as much as I can. Thanks for all the help!:kill::kill:

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
The way I'd learned was that males tended to have more prominent darker fingertips, but I guess that's been disproved?

Morrison

Reaction score
A lot of people think dark toe tips (and yes, light ones in wildtypes) are a sign of sexual maturity. It's more a sign of 'growing up', they sometimes have them when they're too young to be sexually mature. Females have them too.

Oh and they both look female to me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1