Introducing Red Cherry Shrimp

AeonMapa

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Display Name
Aeon
I found a source cheap for cherry shrimp, but he sells them in bulk. My question is, would my newt tank crash if I introduced 50 RCS into it all at the same time? The tank is a 10 gallon well planted with 4 CFBN and 6 WCMM.

I'm not familiar with newts, but that many many mouthes and that much poop.. possibly.
Are you going to share your magical RCS source?!:D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Are you going to share your magical RCS source?!:D

Most probably from someone in the Philippines. :p

As far as crashing, probably not- the shrimp produce very little waste. It is a crowding hazard, though. So many shrimp may be stressful to your newts, so I'd just put them into a separate tank and start a breeding colony!

Your tank is overcrowded as it is, i wouldn´t add any more animals, let alone 50 shrimp all at once.

thanks for the advice guys. I'll hold off buying the shrimp till I can get a tank where they can breed. Once i get that started, would it be alright you think to start introducing shrimp to my tank 2 or 3 at a time till i have about 15 in there? I'm aware the tank is crowded as it is, but a few shrimp wouldn't make much of a difference from what I've read about them

In terms of bioload, not really, no, but as Jasper said, it´s more a problem of the newts not having tranquility xD I would recommend getting rid of the fish (they aren´t doing any good) in exchange for the shrimp (they do do good).

That's true. I am considering putting my white clouds in the fish tank, then adding more shrimp. The tank would definitely be a lot more tranquil since the shrimp tend to stay deep in the plants and don't bother anyone while eating algae all day. The fish on the other hand... they zip around all day, grab earthworm bits and drag them into hard to reach places and generally make life harder on the newts

I breed RCS, and I know that they leave no bio logical foot print. their food does though. and they will make a tasty treat for your newts. I use them to feed to my axolotls every once in a while. they are fun to watch too!

introduced two berried females today, lets see how it goes. they should bear to term despite a new tank right?

yes and no.
shrimp can carry eggs till they feel it is safe enough or the conditions are good enough. how do they seem to be doing?

Still carrying the eggs when I glimpse them. They hide a lot more than the other shrimp understandably. My tank floor is covered in river rocks, java mass and crystalwort, creating tons of crevices and hiding places only the shrimp can reach. The shrimp I've has there for a few months have tripled in size since so I known that they can thrive in my tank, but they haven't bred cos my clever LFS only sold me females. I hope that these two pregnant shrimp can jump start a small colony :)

regarding the food of the shrimp, I never feed them hahaha. They seem to be happy eating whateverthey can find. they've gotten huge so I don't worry for them:happy:

Just wanted to update you guys on my shrimp situation. The berried females gave birth some months ago, and today I was greeted with a happy sight! A new batch of baby arcs :) that means they are an official see sustaining colony now! And just in time as rcs prices have tripled in the past few months over here :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back