How Does This Look?

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rhiannon
So, after my small ordeal with Monster, I figured a few changes to the tank were in order. For starters, I removed a large portion of the decorative rocks from the bottom (I threw a few back in because I know they carry good bacteria and I wanted to preserve as much of that as I could), but of course I'll remove them entirely once he's big enough that he might decide to eat one. There are a few miscellaneous rocks from my yard in the bottom also (I cleaned them thoroughly in scalding water with a small amount of soap first of course), as well as a large piece of fossil slate that I found recently (which I also cleaned beforehand). While Monster was recovering in his quarantine tank, I went out and bought a piece of mopani drift wood, which was actually pre-soaked, so that was pretty neat. And of course he's got his large artificial tree stump hide and some artificial plants as well. Here's a picture of it, tell me what you all think!

monstertanksetup_by_patchwork_clocks-d6jbyrb.jpg

Forgot to put this in the top portion, but he's also got a hang-on-back filter set up, which is at a medium-low flow. I set up the mopani piece so that it would disperse the flow, as well as added a few artificial plant stalks to further disrupt the current. The mopani hasn't been leeching any tannins, but if it does, the filter has activated carbon in it so that will help. The pH was high when I tested (8.4), so I'm letting it all settle overnight and hopefully the mopani will help stabilize the pH.

Awesome!!!:) and if it does leech tannins, it won't do anything bad, tannins are good for the tank and the skin, but it'll just make your tank look yellow:p haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Hi. I'm new to this sight and just recently purchased an axolotl. I was also wondering if my tank setup and diet plans were ok.

Well go ahead and tell us about.your setup and put pictures up if you could:) we'll help!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

ok kool. thanks for replying so quick. my girlfriend got an axolotl about a week ago at a petstore and the petstore lied to us. they said that they are on of the easiest animals to take care of and that water quality doesnt matter. just a bunch of stuff. ive read a lot about them and found out its the opposite of what they said. ive developed quite a passion for the little guy and im trying my best. just needed some feedback on what i should do differently or change. i feed him blood worms in the morning and mysis shrimp at night and sometimes give him a snack in between. my temp fluctuates between 68 and 71 occasionally74 but never any higher. I just got sand for his 10 gallon tank and now the temp.never goes above 71 stays between 64 and 68 all day. I also do 100% water changes every 3 to 4 days because i dont have a filter and only use about 5 gallons of water
This is my tank setup.

I would remove the glass blobs as your axolotl may swallow them. I had a pair of axies that would occasionally pass these over an 8 month period :eek:

If your talking about the rocks I already took those out

So, after my small ordeal with Monster, I figured a few changes to the tank were in order. For starters, I removed a large portion of the decorative rocks from the bottom (I threw a few back in because I know they carry good bacteria and I wanted to preserve as much of that as I could), but of course I'll remove them entirely once he's big enough that he might decide to eat one. There are a few miscellaneous rocks from my yard in the bottom also (I cleaned them thoroughly in scalding water with a small amount of soap first of course), as well as a large piece of fossil slate that I found recently (which I also cleaned beforehand). While Monster was recovering in his quarantine tank, I went out and bought a piece of mopani drift wood, which was actually pre-soaked, so that was pretty neat. And of course he's got his large artificial tree stump hide and some artificial plants as well. Here's a picture of it, tell me what you all think!

Forgot to put this in the top portion, but he's also got a hang-on-back filter set up, which is at a medium-low flow. I set up the mopani piece so that it would disperse the flow, as well as added a few artificial plant stalks to further disrupt the current. The mopani hasn't been leeching any tannins, but if it does, the filter has activated carbon in it so that will help. The pH was high when I tested (8.4), so I'm letting it all settle overnight and hopefully the mopani will help stabilize the pH.

HI PatchworkClocks,

Definately get the glass bottons/rock out, if you want them for the goo bacteria, put in in the HOB filter, so the bacteria is still getting in the water, but your little guy can not swallow them.

:)

ok kool. thanks for replying so quick. my girlfriend got an axolotl about a week ago at a petstore and the petstore lied to us. they said that they are on of the easiest animals to take care of and that water quality doesnt matter. just a bunch of stuff. ive read a lot about them and found out its the opposite of what they said. ive developed quite a passion for the little guy and im trying my best. just needed some feedback on what i should do differently or change. i feed him blood worms in the morning and mysis shrimp at night and sometimes give him a snack in between. my temp fluctuates between 68 and 71 occasionally74 but never any higher. I just got sand for his 10 gallon tank and now the temp.never goes above 71 stays between 64 and 68 all day. I also do 100% water changes every 3 to 4 days because i dont have a filter and only use about 5 gallons of water
This is my tank setup.

Hi Zero 69100, maybe start your own thread so your and Patchworks advise dosent get mixed up, ie with "the glass blobs"
Also if you have your own thread the more chance of more people seeing your question and getting more advide :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back