Do I have a poorly Sid??

Zeanieboppa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Zena
Hi,

I think my 1 (ish) year old male axolotl, Sid is unwell. A few days ago I noticed a very small cotton wool blob on one of Sid's gills, I researched it straight away and everything pointed to a fungus infection, so I gave Sid a 10 min salt bath, tested the water (which came back fine) but did a water change anyway... put Sid back into his tank, who was very nonchalant about the whole thing, which is very Sid!

I continued to check on Sid every few hours (prob more often tbh as I worried about the poor guy! :( ) and he seemed totally fine. The next morning, I rushed downstairs and the cotton wool blob had gone! Tested the water again, and it was again, coming back fine.

The day after, I noticed one of Sid's gills was looking a little less pink than the rest of it, and less feathery at the top. It also seems a bit floppy at the top too :confused:

I've attached a picture to try and show you, as my explanation is a bit rambley! What's wrong with him, if anything, and how can I treat it?

I should point out, he's otherwise absolutely fine. Still eats like usual and walks around his tank/to me like he usually does. Thanks, Zena

Attachments

• poorly Sid.jpg
    poorly Sid.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 185
I would guess that the fungus and saltbath have affected the blood flow to the tip of his gill. I can't see the area too well as my computer won't let me open the picture up larger. Are his gills curled forward or is that just the result of the angle the picture is taken at?

My general rule with an axie is if it's eating and pooping and not exhibiting any unusual behaviour then whatever you think is wrong is nothing major!

Keep an eye on him for the next few days and see if it improves but to be honest I think the worst that will happen with it is the tip drops off, that is unlikely but even if it does happen your axie will regrow it provided you keep the water cool and clean and keep him well fed.

When my leucistic had fungus on her gills they took a couple of weeks to recover - they were pale for about a week, then started to regain their colour. A month on she's completely back to normal.

CJ- yep just the angle, his gills are forward but not curled. I had to take it from behind otherwise he'd have turned around amd wanted to be face on- which would've been unhelpful.

I'll just keep an eye on him then, see if there are any changes. I just worry as even though I did a ton of research on him before I got Sid, I still don't have the experience. All I want is him to stay happy and healthy, just like my cats and dogs. :eek:
Thanks for your help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back