Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question about larvae

renaissancegirl

Reaction score
I have a larva tha hatch yesterday or the day befor and I'm just wondering how old they will be when u can tell their color and when should I expect to see leggs developing etc?

auntiejude

Reaction score
'Quick reply' lets you post a quick text reply, to post pictures you need to click 'post reply' and use 'manage attachments' below the box.

Axolotls change colorsubtly throughout their live, but you'll get an idea as to what phenotype they are once they are hatched.
They start to grow legs around 8-14 days old, but much depends on what temperature they are kept at, nutrition, genetics and other factros too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1