Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Please help identify slimy growth on axolotl and in tank!

colli366

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a growing concern about my axie, Pheobe, for several reasons.
First, I have been looking for answers as to what the white scale-like growths around her mouth are, why her gills appear to be going translucent and have white patches on them, and finally, why she has slowly been accumulating white bumps and lumps on her skin (especially under her belly).
--The latest development: about a week ago, I noticed these tiny white dots encased in what looks like a whitish-opaque slime began to appear on the hide I made for Pheobe. The slimey film is spreading now, and i have noticed several hair-like things growing off of it. The gunk appeared about 2 weeks after I introduced the hide to her tank. I used aquarium-safe sylacone to glue unused aquarium rocks onto a brand new Tupperware container turned upside down with an arch cut into it. I just removed the hide tonight (I was afraid of 'crashing' the tank cycle?). I have been doing about I 30% water changes every other day. I noticed the color and consistency of the dots could be similar to the white patches on her gills and her "armpits".
I bought Pheobe to share as a pet for the art room at the Lansing boys and girls club. The kids and I LOVED her and (we all) learned so much from her. I have moved to a new club, and want to introduce the kids at the new club to Pheobe--I just want to solve this issue first. I feel horrible and am very worried that Im making Pheobe suffer! This is my first experience with an aquatic animal and Im trying to learn what I can to help her, so please respond with anything you feel could help me out! Thank you! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,360

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Could you add a few photo's of Pheobe and the tank set up too please? Also what do you feed her and what is the water temperature? Do you know the readings for Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite?

Sylerwin

Reaction score
Possibly it's her slime coat. I seem to be having the same issue with my axie but I don't think it's fungus. If you find out what it is, I'm interested in hearing it, want to make sure mine is okay too!

colli366

Reaction score
I have her 20 gallon tank about half full right now--I have done 1/2 water changes daily for the past 2 days. It is bare bottomed, and I took out the hide with the crud on it and a fake plant that I had in there (because I noticed she tried to eat/attack it earlier?) that served the purpose of absorbing a lot of the water flow. I have a power filter with carbon filtration that I left in, but not running because the water is so much lower than normal.

Am I changing too much of her water? I dont understand how to get her biological filter back on track. I used API freshwater master test kit, and I know these numbers look bad, but I am doing the best I can! Please point me in the right direction! I tested the water when I first saw the gunk on her hide:
**(8/11/13)--it read (ppm):
PH 8.3
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrate 5.0
Nitrite 5.0

Yesterday, after continuing with regular water changes and before removing anything from the tank:

**(8/23/12)--it read (ppm):
PH 7.9
Ammonia 2.0
Nitrate 90.0
Nitrite 4.5/ 5.0 range

I will send pictures in my next post...THANK YOU so much for trying to help!

colli366

Reaction score
Heres her pictures. I couldnt really capture the bumps under her belly, but hopefully you can see how her skin is raised. The last 2 pictures are of these strange x-or-y- shaped things I have been finding in her tank every so often for the past 3-4 months...not sure what they are or if they are related to her issues? Thanks again.
Sarah

Attachments

• image (4).jpg
    image (4).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 571
  • image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 831
  • image (6).jpg
    image (6).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 399
  • image (7).jpg
    image (7).jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 605
  • image (8).jpeg
    image (8).jpeg
    328 KB · Views: 391
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 377
  • image (9).jpeg
    image (9).jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 408
  • image (5).jpeg
    image (5).jpeg
    296 KB · Views: 489

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If the silicone was thoroughly cured, then I don't think this has anything to do with the problems. (I would leave it to cure at least 4 days, or longer if it still smells of vinegar)

For the ammonia to be that high, I think there may be somewhere in the tank where uneaten food is decaying. Cut back on feeding and make sure every bite is eaten.

It's OK to have the tank all the way full, as long as you have a lid. More water volume is a good thing.

I have no idea what those are in the last 2 pictures. Do they move? Sit on the bottom?

If the ammonia is still 2.0, I'd suggest removing the axolotl to a bucket of clean dechlorinated water temporarily. The pictures of the axolotl look normal to me, maybe I'm not seeing something.

xxianxx

Reaction score
**(8/11/13)--it read (ppm):
PH 8.3
Ammonia 0.50
Nitrate 5.0
Nitrite 5.0

Yesterday, after continuing with regular water changes and before removing anything from the tank:

**(8/23/12)--it read (ppm):
PH 7.9
Ammonia 2.0
Nitrate 90.0
Nitrite 4.5/ 5.0 range

It looks like you have blown your cycle with excessive water changes, as recomended by another poster remove the axolotl and get the tank cycled. The axolotl looks ok to me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1