Question: Sexually mature

liznewton85

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Liz
So is this the start of maturity or something else?

Attachments

• 20130824_075242.jpg
    20130824_075242.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 287
The dark toe tips? No. It just means they have dark toe tips!

Sexual maturity is usually when they reach around 8"+ in length, the males' cloaca swells, and they start to get a little lumpy in the jawline.

Oh ok everything i found said it was a maturity thing and it just started so i was hoping that's what it was the one pictured is 6 in so i guess I have to keep waiting

Does this count as stolen and lumpy face?

Attachments

• 20130824_104903.jpg
    20130824_104903.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 231
  • 20130824_104749.jpg
    20130824_104749.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 20130824_104921.jpg
    20130824_104921.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 235
I am still new but his cloaca does look swollen to me ... How old is he? Every lotl grows at its own rate.

I'm not sure how old he/she is, but from the looks of these pictures, I'd say that your axolotl appears to be female (for now...haha).

Thanks for the help guys. .I was thinking it was female too it's even more round .. she (piglet) is about 7 months old I also have a wild that is about 10 or 11 months that looks to be a male but he wouldn't give me the money shot to show but he has white toes and they told me when i got him he was a male :)

Size is also a factor, not just age. How long are your axies? I thougt I had MMFF with my 4, but have FFFM instead! Toe tips do not mean anything either way.

Your photos look female to me, and the face is still too 'cute' to be mature. Have a look at some of the pics of older axies (12months+) and you'll see what I mean - like when boys start to get squarer in the jaw!

It's less a sign of maturity and probably closer to them starting puberty. You got a pimply faced teen lotl!

I've had some show signs of being a boy quite young, but there's no way to tell for sure you have a female unless she's about 2 years old or she's had eggs.

Uh oh here comes the rebellion stage then lol they better behave themselves.. they are all about 7 inches long:proud:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back