Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Plant for axolotl tank?

omgitsbekahxD

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking for the best plants to keep in an axolotl tank. I currently have some kind of anubias plant, a java moss ball, and a java fern. However, the only plant I have in the tank right now is the java fern. Can bamboo be used?

My main two problems are: I currently have no lighting on my tank, just the light in my room and I have no substrate aside from some larger river rocks. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hold my plants down? I've tried the rocks, but they all eventually move and my plant or part of my plant will end up floating around on the other side of where it began.

At the moment, I have the java fern in some sort of flower pot "water catcher"? It's supposed to go underneath a small flower pot; I'm not sure what it's called. I'll post a picture. I used pantyhose to hold the plant down, but it doesn't seem to be doing its job as I had hoped. The roots are starting to come out and I don't know what else I can do to keep it where I want it.

I've thought about using sand as a substrate, but I feel it would be harder to clean and it would be messier in general. Anyone have any opinions on using sand rather than rocks? Although I love the look of sand, I'm afraid it's not worth the time and effort to keep. Also I don't know if my axolotl would be happier with sand or if he'd prefer what I already have set up in his tank.

If anybody could give me any ideas on how to keep my plants from roaming about the tank, can give me some recommended plants to use, or has any comments about sand as a substrate, let me know!

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 426

SallySalamanda

Reaction score
If you dont want a substrate try attaching the plants to wood, rock or ornament with fishing line :)

as for the names of whats best, this i have no idea on all names, not my strong point. I do know duckweed (floating) is good for cold water, java fern java moss and merimo moss balls are ok. My axie loves her moss ball

omgitsbekahxD

Reaction score
That is an excellent idea, thank you :)
I will definitely have to get some fishing net soon and try that out!

Oh and you just made me realize I have a marimo moss ball, not java moss. :p I'm obviously not the greatest with plant names either haha I've never really grown any plants, so plants that live under water are the only experience I have which is little to none. My moss ball is very small though, which is why I haven't put it in my tank yet. Onyx could easily eat it if he wanted to. /:

SallySalamanda

Reaction score
No problem...... I have no idea on plant names, the 4 i mentioned is my limit :)

Also with the reddish wood (not sure of the name sorry) the tannins (that will turn the water a yellowis brownish colour is also good for the axie's slim coat (similar to tea) im sure if you have a look at orevious threads, there are heaps of plant names etc for more ideas :)

Good luck with your axie

omgitsbekahxD

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with any types of wood, but I can definitely look into all of that. For now I suppose I'm going to settle with the plants I already have plus a couple of fake ones. :p

Do you know if bamboo can be used? I've been growing some in case I can put it in there but I haven't really seen any information about it with axies

Thank you, I'm hoping our move won't stress him out too much and he'll be happy in his new 55 gallon tank :) Good luck to you as well!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Roy

Reaction score
Why don´t you try with Anubias? They are colorful, restist a wide range of temperatures and other water conditions, are cheap and need very low light levels. You can use wood as a substrate (just attach it to a sunken log with floss or something like that). Good luck!!!!! :happy:

omgitsbekahxD

Reaction score
I do actually have one anubias plant :) However, it's green like most other plants and I had to go out of state just to get it. Anubias plants aren't very common around here and neither are axolotls. /: It's rough trying to find the things I need/want for Onyx's tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

auntiejude

Reaction score
I've got plain old pondweed - doesn't need planting (I have it tied and weighted), OK in a non-lit tank, OK in cold water, pretty hardy. And cheap anough to replace if it dies!
It's just not as pretty as some other plants.

I read somewhere that planted pots aren't best for axies - their instict is to root around for small wriggly things and they uproot plants while foraging, then eat the substrate. Plants attached to rocks or wood are good though. And I can't see why bamboo would be a problem - it's not toxic.

layna

Reaction score
Hey i have anubias, mini water lettuce, water soldier, elodea, Marimo moss balls and some fake silk plants for colour in my tank.
The types of wood, i know two, driftwood and mopani wood but it does make your water yellow for ages haha.

I tied my anubias to my mopani wood and that looks quite cool :D

On a side note i saw a thread on here saying if you have high nitrAtes then add the roots of a pothos plant to the top of your water (like put it in a pot and have the roots dangling in) but im yet to try it, id be interested to know if anyone else has?

emmyk

Reaction score
Mopani wood is really good for your axie. And bamboo can be used, it was the first plant I had in my tank:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!