How can I make this tank?

AxoMomi

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
I really want something like this for my axo.. But I don't know how to make that tree, can anyone explain it to me? And what plants are they using, can the plant survive in a axo tank, with almost no lighting(max 6 ours light on a day).. The tank will of course be more axolotl friendly with lots of hides, do you have ideers on how to make more axolotl friendly, then please share it with me :).. Thanks a lot... And here is the aquariums I really want tree aquarium - Google-søgning

From what I can tell that's a bit of driftwood with copious amounts of some kind of moss. Maybe you could replicate with java moss? the bottom is the same moss over an aquarium soil

From what I can tell that's a bit of driftwood with copious amounts of some kind of moss. Maybe you could replicate with java moss? the bottom is the same moss over an aquarium soil

Thanks for your answer :)!
Do you know if java moss can survive in a axo tank?? And do you know if they take some of the green things( I don't know what is called in English, but in Danish it's Alger, the green things that is on the glass and plants)

Thanks! I was looking for the exact picture for weeks! I still want to try this. Maybe with a nice sunset background.

Iwagumi landscapes are more for nano fish and shrimp .Not sure how it would cope with Axies .I used to do Nano Iwagumi landscapes in 13ltr and smaller tanks :) it'd be cool to see if it'd be okay for axies but i'd worry about the string that needs to be wrapped around the weeping willow mossto get it to stay on the sumatra wood till it is able to root itself and also sumatra wood tends to have jaggy bits so it'd need a lot of sanding but you could always use different wood type .
landscape rock and dragon stone which is common in this scaping are also rough with jagged bits (I have loads of this stuff but i'm too scared to use it in the axie tank) so perhaps go for giant river stone or wood rock which is more smoother wood rock being a bit rough but normally less jaggy.

your substrate is also going to have to be plant substrate to keep it healthy for a bottom base then add sand on top

for plants hairgrass ,Fissidens and Java moss buuuut:( I've not seen a freshwater iwagumi tank yet ...i'd love to know what grass like plant that can live in cold water could be though .The only moss i've seen be okay in cold water was the mossballs.

you could flatten out moss balls ,I used to make little grass gardens in my nano tanks by opening the moss balls flat but they never really stuck down well without a rock ontop and gathered muck easily D:

I miss doing iwagumi so it'd be great if we could find freshwater alternatives! if anyone is good with freshie type plants that could help ?

The moss that is used in this tank is called Christmas moss. this tank is not hard to do at all I have one with just the tree part it took 2 months. I would not us this for an axie tank but that is just me I have shrimp in mine. When I set mine up I just went by the photo If you make the photo larger it is easy to s how it is done.
good luck......

Moss actually seems to do better in cold water setups, as well as many other aquarium plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back