My Axi will only hand feed!

Bloodedflowers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When he was a juvi and in his very first tank, I could happily drop blood worm cubes into his tank and he'd munch away quite happily.

However when I up-sized his tank I began to hand feed him in order to give him a varied diet. While I enjoyed the additional contact with my dear little Spock, it seems to have had an unwanted effect. He now won't go for food on his own, I have to hand feed him it on he will simply ignore his food.

He has a separate smaller tank that I use to feed him in when I want to feed him frozen food and he will happily just sit in it for hours without even bothering to eat the food that is right in-front of his mouth. If I dangle something in above him he'll go for it.

It can be very frustrating as it is inconvenient sometimes to hand feed him as it can be rather time consuming (he is a slow eater) I've even tried putting feeder fish into his tank only to find them still there weeks later and again he will only eat them if I have hold of them.

Is there anyway to retrain him to eat independently?

Lol mines the same! Sometimes he just sits there with his mouth open expecting u to put the worm in for him. But lucky for me he is a pig n if i leave it on the bottom hunger gets the better of him and he eats the food.

You have just spoilt your axolotl. Just add food to its tank in the same spot, it will soon learn where to go to get fed, if it chooses to starve for a couple of weeks let it.

Hey!
Just thought I'd update and let you know that shortly after posting my question Spock started eating on his own AND hunting!! He hunted!!! ON HIS OWN!!
I swear it's like he can read my mind. :p
Thank you for all the answers I am happy to find the situation resolved itself. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back