Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand sticking to skin

steve611

Reaction score
I just noticed today that one of my Axolotls has sand stuck to his skin. I attempted to slowly blow it away with a turkey baster but I can't really do anything without stressing him out.
Is this a sign of illness in relation to the slime coat? Or am I just overreacting. Never had this occur before.
I've checked water parameters and PH is 6.5, Ammonia levels are 0.25, Nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 5.0.

HayleyK

Reaction score
I don't think it's a problem, I mean their slime coats are well, slimey. I wake up and mine have a few sand speckles on them and I wonder how they managed to get sand on top of their heads but it falls off after a while. My parameters are fine and so are my axies and this has been happening randomly for months. I can't see the picture, unless they're like completely covered in sand I don't think it's a problem :)

Last edited:

steve611

Reaction score
Yeah, It's just that it's never happened before since I first got him in January. Well not that I've seen anyway haha, so I was just a bit worried. That's reassuring to know though, thanks. I feel less worried haha :D.

Here's the picture btw Idk what happened to the other one.

Attachments

• cuau.jpg
    cuau.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 671

HayleyK

Reaction score
Yours seems to have a bit more sand on them than mine, perhaps instead of using a turkey baster (which might scare them!) try gently brushing it with your finger to see how well it comes off, if it doesn't then I'm not sure what it is. Try adding tea to their tank (regular black tea that has well and truly cooled!) or a tea bath to help with their coat. It amazes me how they can get sand in such awkward places, it's like they've rolled around and dug about during the night :bowl:

steve611

Reaction score
Beats me haha. Occasionally he might bump into the other Axolotl and get startled and swim away really fast, kicking up sand. Only thing I can think of.

I tried gently using my finger but the sand wouldn't come off. I've been out for the past 2 hours though and when I came back, I was able to rub the sand off with my finger. Maybe it's something wrong with the slime coat? My other Axolotl is fine and has had no problems with the water or substrate so I'm just taking stabs in the dark here haha. He's fine now though and that's what counts I guess, thanks for the reply! :)

steve611

Reaction score
Today I noticed the little guy has skin flakes peeling off. I had a bit of an ammonia spike last time he was suffering similiar symptoms but I tested the water and it only had 0.25 for ammonia and that was on the day of water change. I've noticed his eyes are little blurred with these skin flakes too. Only thing I can think of is maybe the temperature was a little too high? Reached a peak of about 20 degrees today. My other Axie is fine in the same tank. :/ Should I make a new thread for this issue? I'm not sure if they're related.

snuggly time

Reaction score
Have you checked all parameters? Ph, Nitrites, Nitrates too? 20c is a little high, but they should still be able to cope with it. Also, have you changed dechlorinator or are you measuring it correctly?

steve611

Reaction score
Yeah Ph is 6.5, Nitrite 0 and nitrate in between 0 and 5.0. I use a 1.25L bottle when measuring how much water I put in the bucket during water changes and place 2 drops of prime dechlorinator per 4 litres of water as said on the instructions of the bottle. I did a water change today, about 25% so hopefully ammonia should be closer to 0 now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1