Cooling methods

HayleyK

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
So I've had one of my babies for two years and before finding this site had no idea that heat causes fungal infections. I just read they have increased metabolism when it's warmer so I just fed her everyday instead of every second.

So my axolotl has endured two Sydney Australian summers (average temp outside would range from 28-32 some days we had heat waves of 43 degrees) . I actually have no idea how she didn't die, have fungal infections or ANY problems. I did place a bottle of ice in the water but could not replace throughout the day due to work and school.

1. How did she not suffer problems and 2. I can not afford a chiller, what are better methods of cooling? What are your experience(s) with a aquarium fan? How effective are they at maintaining correct temperatures? I have a 3ft tank that is I think 60cm wide and about 75-80cm tall.

I have a fan aimed at the top that helps tremendously. Also keeping the room dark helps. I use ice bottles on really hot days. You can buy those little desk fans or computer fans.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Fans work really well as long as the humidity isn't too bad high. If you have a knack for building things you could make a couple of homemade Peltier chillers which aren't terribly expensive. I made two for my twenty gallon long tank and it cooled it from 76 to 69, and with a strip of fans blowing on the surface it sits at about 65-66! All supplies including the fans cost a little under 90 USD. I saw a thread in this section that explained how to make them. My phone won't let me post a link to it, but it's in there if you do a little looking. Maybe that's your ticket to keep them cool.

Have either of you experienced fans actually heating up after running continuously? Thanks for your input guys!

Nope I have a clip on desk fan that does a great job

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I haven't had an issue either. My fans have never given me problems.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back