Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie's gills suddenly "fluffier."

ifyouseeher

Reaction score
Basically everything in the title. Water parameters are good (even got a more experienced friend to double check for me.) It's only been over the last day or 2 I've noticed any real change, but they're noticeably "fluffier." They make him look much more handsome, but was just wondering if there could be any particular reason for the sudden change.

ifyouseeher

Reaction score
20130828_221058.jpg

Have attached a photo, does Toaster look healthy and happy to you?

Quentari

Reaction score
fluffy gills usually happen when you introduce a sponge filter. Sponges add little air bubbles so I guess they oxygenate the water. Maybe you have more oxygen in the water than normal?

Fidget

Reaction score
I noticed my axie did that too after he had a stint in the "hospital" where he was in clean water changed every day in a tub. Put him back in the tank and he fluffed up pretty quick.

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
Most people tend to think that temperature has an influence on an axolotl's gill fluff. That's not really true, though. You shouldn't be concerned about your 'lotl's fluffy gills, really. Unless he's acting abnormally (like being lethargic or refusing to eat) then you have nothing to worry about.

wandering

Reaction score
fluffy gills usually happen when you introduce a sponge filter. Sponges add little air bubbles so I guess they oxygenate the water. Maybe you have more oxygen in the water than normal?

Fluffiness is thought to be a response to less oxygen, I believe. That is, more surface area on the gills is needed to take in the oxygen.

The warmer the water the less oxygen there is in it.

And still water will have less oxygen because your axies will be using it up; it is surface agitation that replenishes the oxygen more than bubbles. Unless you have enough plants to replace the oxygen.

Sponge filters give fluffier gills because the water does not circulate quickly to collect much oxygen from the surface.

Does any of that make sense? :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ifyouseeher

Reaction score
We have a large plant in there currently, but it looks a bit like it's dying off due to the lack of light tbh. Any recommendations for plants that need very little light? Have also ordered an airstone to agitate the water a little bit more, will that help?

He seems happy enough, he's eating and pooping normally, and he's very friendly. More than happy to take food from my hand/sit on my hand for ages so I can't move and then I get a bad back from leaning weirdly. :D

wandering

Reaction score
I wouldn't be overly worried over oxygen levels as long as the tank is cycled and the water cold. Axies can take oxygen from the air as well as grow their gill filaments so have natural adaptation to low oxygen levels that they must encounter in the wild. Our captive ones are probably quite spoilt.

Java moss and Java fern both grow in low light levels. Both can be tied to some bogwood so you can move them for cleaning the tank. If your tank is in a really shady spot you could even take the plants out and put them in a bowl of water in a sunny spot every now and then to perk them up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!