Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Scared Axolotl?

omgitsbekahxD

Reaction score
Okay so I've had my axolotl, Onyx, for several months now. When I first got him I kept him in a 10 gallon tank with an Aqua-tech filter for 10-20 gallons. I rigged it to where it wouldn't cause too much of a current and he never seemed to mind it being on constantly.

Once he started to get bigger, I put him in a 20 gallon tank (thought it was 30 gallons) and purchased a new, bigger filter. This one was a Tetra 30-60 gallon filter. I then had to rig that one as well since it was extremely powerful. After I fixed it, I kept it on all of the time and again, he didn't mind it. I kept that filter off for a about a week (don't remember my reason) and when I went to turn it back on, it wouldn't work. This filter was only used for MAYBE 2 months.

I decided to just use a temporary filter that I already had since we're planning to move soon. Once we move, I'll have a different filter for his 55 gallon tank which I plan to put him in once we do move. For now I'm using a brand new Whisper 2-10 gallon filter for his 20 gallon tank. I put it in and rigged it as well to prevent a powerful current. For some reason, Onyx seems to be afraid of it. He keeps hiding in his tunnel which he never hides in . He usually likes to climb around on things in his tank and he likes to watch me when I'm walking around the room or anything like that. Ever since I turned the filter on, he has been afraid and won't come out of his tunnel until I turn it off. Why is he scared of it? It's so much smaller than all of my other filters and causes the least current. I've been keeping the filter off since he has been acting this way, but occasionally I need to turn it on to filter out his tank. I hate to make him scared, but I can't do water changes constantly either. /: I know for a fact the current isn't strong because none of the plants in his tank are moving at all.

The only difference between filters is the brand names and the new one is a filter which hangs inside of the tank and the other two are HOB filters. I would assume this is his reason to be scared since the whole filter is in the tank, but when it's off, he doesn't care that it's there. Has anyone else had any problems like this? Onyx isn't normally scared of anything and he never really hides, so it confuses me why he's acting like this.

Since he is in his tunnel, I have moved the filter to the opposite side of the tank as well as the air stone hoping it will help, but he still hasn't left his tunnel. Here are some pictures and sorry for the bad quality, it's easier to upload them if I take them from my ipod.

Any help/opinions are appreciated.

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    294.6 KB · Views: 392
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    294.8 KB · Views: 288
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 277
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 343

omgitsbekahxD

Reaction score
I never even thought about the noise, I think you're completely right about that! I listened to the old filter that I used to use (it's in a smaller tank) and I couldn't hear a thing. When I listened to the one that is in Onyx's tank, it was rather loud. After keeping the filter on all day, he decided to start coming out of his tunnel! I think he may be getting over his fear :) He wouldn't stop staring at the filte until I turned it off though lol I just decided to keep it on all day yesterday and I turned it off this morning. Is there anything I can do to help eliminate the noise, or at least make it less obnoxious?

This sight humored me so I thought I'd throw it in too :p
4a9y2eba.jpg

Also I may post a separate question about this, but why was his tail so pink? Was it from the stress of the filter noise? I've noticed before that it gets slightly pink compared to his body, but it has never been this vibrant. It doesn't look nearly as bright today though (the picture was taken last night)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1