Question: Help with introducing new with old

axolotlboy21

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

So I have had an axolotl going on 8 years now, she's about 7-8 inches in length. I know its not wise to simply add a new little axy in with her, and am aptly prepared for tank division. I was simply wondering if there is a specific length or time when it would be possible for a new axy (approximately 2-3 inches in length at the moment) to be allowed to co-exist without the need for the divider? My current axy, Deci, is very friendly, hand-fed and the tank is 20 US Gallons "Long" I believe. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Axies should ideally be close in size to share a tank, so in an ideal situation you should wait until your new one is around 6".

But it's really up to you - if you're confident your older one will tolerate a new tank mate introduce them and see what happens. But stand by with salt and tea batch just incase!

You will need to quarantine the new axie for at least thirty days before you even think about adding it to the tank. Just to make sure that the new one isn't carrying any nasties to infect your older one.

To be honest, I wouldn't put your new axie into the tank with the older one until it is big enough not to be seen as food, probably about 4-5 inches. There is a thread on here from last week where another member lost her baby axie as it escaped the divider and ended up as dinner for the much larger one :( Sorry to be doom and gloom about it, but would rather be safe than sorry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back