Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Hi im new

katdust

Reaction score
Hi im new and this is my first axlotle that i have ever had i have had her(well i think its a girl) for about 6 or 7 months. so my questions are does she look healthy? what could i add to her tank to make it look less bland? is she a girl??

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 137

HayleyK

Reaction score
Welcome to Caudata!

To determine sex we would need a better shot and closer, preferably birds-eye view. Tanks are good fun to decorate! I can't see how big your tank is but having more than one hide is good, I like the natural look better using driftwoods and large smooth aqua rocks, but each to their own. Adding plants also instantly picks up a gloomy tank and my ones love sitting in them, again I prefer natural as I don't trust some artificial ones they can leak out dyes or cut them. I can't see from the photo but bare bottom or fine sand as a floor covering is good, hope there's no gravel there.

I also added a bubble curtain that they love playing in and hitching rides to the surface, as well as a low led light (as long as there's plenty of hides it'll be fine). The light makes my tank look pretty, I feel it's very bland without it.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Get down to your LFS or pet store and knock yourself out with plants - plastic or real - ornaments, tunnels or hides!

Can't see what sex it is from that pic, but you're looking for a bump just behind it's back legs - small bump = girl, large bump = boy. Check out the dozens of thread about gender for pics for comparison.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!