Larve Tank Setup

chaimdov

Reaction score
Country
United States
My iberian ribbed newts have been laying about 1000 eggs a month. About half hatch. I have one twenty gallon tank with mature water and tons of water plants and the larve in there are flourishing. Over four hundred larve in plastic tubs or bare tanks did not make it.

I have a thousand more eggs to hatch in the next week, does anyone have experiance raising these on the mass scale in plastic bins or bare fishtanks without plants?

Thanks.

Before trying to raise a large number, it would be best to have some success raising smaller numbers. For this to happen, I'd suggest euthanizing most of the eggs.

I am not surprised that the larvae in the planted tank are doing well, while those in bare tanks didn't. Planted tanks are the best. In order to raise larvae in bare tubs, you have to keep them scrupulously clean: total water changes every day or two, and tubs wiped out or cleaned out between changes.

This is a particularly challenging species to raise in large numbers because they get so big. Even if you get things working well with tubs, remember that they'll be quite large before they reach metamorphosis. How many do you have in the 20-gal tank? You may have to thin them out, or risk losing them as they get large and more crowded.

What kind of food are you using?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back