Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Howdy

Perocore

Reaction score
Hey all, Perocore here! You're welcome to call me Pero or Milo, I'll respond to either.

I'm a high school student (Junior year) who's planning on going to Cornell for Herpetology and Entomology (specifically spider biology). I'm also interested in Literature, art (colored pencil works), mathematics, and French.

At this point in time I own three male leopard geckos, four tarantulas, one oddly shaped betta, a rather obese whiskered shrimp, two lovely little rabbit girls, a baby green iguana, a lonesome gerbil, and I'm hoping to get an axolotl soon enough, which is why I'm here!

I can be a little sarcastic at times (I have an astounding sense of humor) and even, gasp, a little opinionated (an opinionated teenager? No way!). Over all I am a pretty friendly guy and do try my best to get along with everyone.

Hope to enjoy my stay, and it's a pleasure to meet all of you!

Milo

emmyk

Reaction score
Hi Milo! Where are you located?:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

omgitsbekahxD

Reaction score
Hello, and welcome :) I hope you find all of the information here that you need in order to care for your future axolotl and I wish you luck in your schooling as well. I'm also a high school student working my way towards being a veterinarian or a veterinarian technician. I currently have a leucistic male axolotl named Onyx and three GFP goldens on the way :p Not to mention all of our other animals haha

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Perocore

Reaction score
Otterwoman; Thank you for the welcome! Oh yes, I absolutely must do research before getting the animal! I'd rather not have it die when it could have been avoided just by doing my research.

Emmyk; I'm in upstate NY, about 3 hours from Ithaca (which would make going to Cornell rather convenient, haha).

omgitsbekahxD; Thank you for the welcome! Nice to know there's other high school students here! What does GFP stand for, exactly?

emmyk

Reaction score
Green fluorescent protein. They glow under the blacklight... but they really don't like it.

emmyk

Reaction score
And darn! Was hoping you're in Washington!! Haha:) someone my age who loves these animals would be cool to hang out with.

omgitsbekahxD

Reaction score
I thought the same when I saw your post! :p Most people on here seem to be a lot older, but that's more wisdom to go around, right? Yes she's right and I definitely wouldn't keep a blacklight on them all the time. I really like the yellow tint that they have, not just how they glow.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Perocore

Reaction score
Ah, sort of like Emperor scorpions? Of course keeping scorpions under a black light is actually very harmful to them, so I imagine it makes sense that it could be harmful or at least unpleasant for other creatures.

And, haha, I have friends in Washington, but I'm afraid I'm rather a ways away. There are very few people (and by that I mean I have yet to meet any) who are interested in herpeculture where I live...tiny little town that it is. I worked at a Summer Camp in Missouri where I met a lot of other people with similar interests, it's a great way to meet new people and connect.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1