Can anyone tell me what this is?

Zenna

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
~Ally<3
I just got a new axolotl at the pet store, her name is star, when I got her home I looked and noticed this thing under her front leg.. is it a bone? or something I should be worried about? is my axolotl growing another leg?? Haha Im not sure what it is, and I don't really want to touch it, incase it hurts. so yeah. can anyone tell me what that is? Also besides that does he look healthy?

Attachments

• axolotl 1.jpg
    axolotl 1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 235
  • axolotl2.jpg
    axolotl2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 250
It's hard to tell from the pics...if he seems OK just raise him up and see what happens. And fatten him up!!! :)

I agree, it's a little blurry to tell. It looks a little like another piece of skin but I can't be sure. Star is cute though! :) Can't wait to see her/him when they've been with you a bit :)

It doesn't look like a bone to me. Just watch her behavior for the next few days, and if she acts oddly or tries to scratch at it, it might be an anchor worm like someone else suggested. Other than that, it could just be an extra piece of skin that she might have scraped off at some point.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back