Question: Baby Axolotl temperature?

DomDaw

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have my axolotls at about 20-22 degrees Celsius which is the lowest my heater will go.
Recently Isaw one of my axolotls had air bubbles in him, I looked it up and it said it could be due to the temperature.

I took out the heater, and the temperature will now drop to about 14-16 degrees. Is this safe for the babies or should I leave the temperature at the current.

Urgent help would be great!

That temperature is definitely safe for them. I've raised my larvae at those temperatures and all is well. :happy:

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think air bubbles in larvae can occur if they're not eating enough.

I've heard that too. I missed a day of feeding them chopped whiteworms as I thought they were still too young. I kept feeding them microworms though but they're too small to see whether they were eaten. They're back on both now though so hopefully no more bubbles :happy:

They're hungry little things, aren't they? :lol:
How many are you raising and how old are they, if you don't mind me asking? :happy:

Both temperatures are fine, the lower one (14-16C) produces slower growth but is probably a bit more efficient, they eat less but grow more for the same quantity of food. Below 10C growth disproportionately slows. Things go wrong a lot faster at 22C than 14C. I favour cool, they may take nearly 18 months to maturity but it probably adds to their lifespan!

They're about two weeks old and I'm raising about 60! So I have quite a lot.

They are just getting hungrier and hungrier. I got discouraged from raising so many, but they seem to be doing just fine.

I'm selling them at the moment just to get down to about 30.

Yes I guess thats true. There is probably a higher possibility of fungi infection/bacterial infestations at 22C. Mine are at about 20 now since I moved them into a larger container. They seem to be a lot happier at that temp than at 14-16 (From time to time the heater is turned off). But thats just my observation :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back