Axolotls are SO cool!

SariYappa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
~Sari
Hello All. My name is Sari (rhymes with Barry).

I do not have any amphibians at this time, but hopefully we can change that :p A little about myself:

I run a Non-Profit Organization in SC "Save Our Suggies" or "SOS". It's all about Sugar Gliders (little marsupials from Australia). We do lots of educating, and talking people out of owning them, if they are not the right pet for them.

We currently own 3 Suggies (Sugar, Nibbles and Destiny), 1 Dog (Piper), and house rescue Sugar Gliders that come and go, finding their forever homes.

Oh, yeah, and Lets not forget about my Hubby David, and 11 yr old son Davy :love:

I have done lots of exotic and wild-life rescue. I have experience from personal pets, rescue, working PetCare at PetSmart, even babysitting a Lion Pup... :eek:

We actually built a space into our wall between the living room and dining room to house Spyro the bearded dragon. When Spyro died, we moved our turtles in. They finally found a home at a local zoo with an outside turtle pond (they were HUGE!). Most recently we lost our African Pygmy Frog that should probably be on the news for the longest living ;)

We are wanting to fill the void between the two rooms with another love, instead of plants and knick-knacks. I am completely fascinated with axolotls!!

Hence, my research on axolotls is what brought me here :)

We have the space, we have a 39 gallon tank, but I intend to go 55 before starting, we are shopping chillers, and have all the beautiful fixings to make a happy home except the new living plants we intend to Provide. I need to understand more about the life cycle, and the colors, so I don't just point at pics saying "I want that one"!

Also, we are good at special diets, had a meal worm farm, cricket farm, and roach farm. We could grow some yums yums for our axolotl too when we understand more about the fish and worms they eat :)

Thanks for letting me ramble, let the chatting begin. :happy:

Wow that's great! Thank you for.doing your research beforehand! Haha:) as far as yum yums, earthworm farm and a cherry shrimp farm work great. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Oh! And as far as plants go, I had a hard time finding a reasonably priced website and peabodysparadise is wonderful!!! I have some plants on the way right now:) axolotl.org should help you understand the life cycle. Under good care they can live for quite some time and can get up to 14 inches. The BASIC Colors are:
Leucistic (my favorite) pinkish with bright red/pink gills
Wild type: greenish blackish, often with iridophores (shiny pigments) and emerald eyes
Melanoid: mostly black
golden: yellow! Super cute, and albino, so they have yellow eyes.
White albino: kind of obvious
Along with that there are copper axolotls, piebald axolotls, chimera axolotls (rare) and silver dalmation. There are a lot of other color morphs, but I don't know them well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Thanks for the reply, and great info Emmy!
I see you too are in the US. Also looks like you are a new owner, we can learn together ;)
Although, you are ahead of me at this point in time...

I am big on researching first, I preach it about Sugar Gliders all the time :p

I am trying to learn my way around the site, look at pics, and learn about the food farms.
I think I remember an area just about food, I'm on my way there now.

Can't wait to have my own Axi... I am overloading on videos on 'YouTube' :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back