Walstad tank.

emmyk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright. I have plants on the way, pool filter sand, and I'm searching for a good organic soil. I'm setting up my first ever walstad tank, and I'm pretty nervous. Does anyone have any tips? Or words of encouragement?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I've set up one, at least a loose translation of :) I have three foot tank with loads of plants and pond soil capped with playsand. Vallis has survived very well, the anubias is growing faster than I've ever seen it grow, the sword is getting massive and the crypts didn't melt and are sending out runners :) Oh and I'm pulling strings of elodea out by the handful. Don't plant things too deep, otherwise all the leaves rot off, and what looks like a healthy plant disintegrates with the whaft of a siphon :( It has survived so far with my juvies in it, it seems to be going rather well so the next try is with my six foot and eight adults :) This tank also has a filter and gets a large weekly water change. I don't like the idea not changing the water regularly as the axies are messy little piglets!

Make sure you get some really fast growing plants, they suck up all the nasties and hopefully stop the algae growing. If you do get algae there is always a fix and not to panic :) Oh and wash all the plants when you get them it is also worth soaking them for three days with daily water changes, this should get out all snails etc from the plants.

This article I found very helpful, also this thread.

Good luck and have fun :)

Thanks so much:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I've set up two so far a 30 and 55 gal. my only advice would be get your hands on some hornwort, elodea and what ever floating plants you can. They will keep the water clean. Also if possible wait a week or so before adding fish/axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back