Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cool and creative hides!

Morrison

Reaction score
I'm looking for interesting ideas for axie hides. Not the usual stuff like PVC pipes and tupperwares with rocks glued to them. But really awesome, new ideas.

Share them. Share them for the love of lotls :D

conradryaan

Reaction score
I built a fake rock back wall out of styrofoam. I put some caves and archways in it my axolotls love it. I could post a picture if you want. maybe it will help spark your imagination. I built a place to put a plant with a cave behind it and they love that area to hide in and to snuggle and sleep:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

AeonMapa

Reaction score
Halfed plant pots, rock formations, baskets, PVC pipe buried in the substrate

TheJadeAxolotl

Reaction score
I built a fake rock back wall out of styrofoam. I put some caves and archways in it my axolotls love it. I could post a picture if you want. maybe it will help spark your imagination. I built a place to put a plant with a cave behind it and they love that area to hide in and to snuggle and sleep:)

I know I would love to see pics. I was about to ask about using a Styrofoam background and see if it was safe. xD

conradryaan

Reaction score
here's a photo and I will find a link for you that gives the information and how to. it's a project to do but it is worth it!
ra7udybe.jpg

Mama Mia

Reaction score
I know of a lady in the UK that makes awesome hides, I will PM you with her info, I just ordered 4 custom made ones for my axie, :happy: I think you will like these hides, I too was looking for something different when I found her.

Jelle

Reaction score
Build an Aztec temple out of non-toxic materials and let him be the god of your mini aquatic Aztec city :D
temple2.jpg

Reaction score
Build a miniature replica of a theme park with working rides! Hahaha
But on the serious side they love floating cork bark! They just float underneath it and it gives them a bit of shade!

Morrison

Reaction score
Cool, I still have some.

And I like those temples. I actually have a tank ornament like that. Sadly there's no hole in it.

Mama Mia

Reaction score
I don't have a camera at the moment, it is the next thing on my list to buy, I am slowly getting every thing back, I lost everything I owned in the big tornado we had here in Cordova Alabama on 04/27/2011. I have almost got everything but nothing will ever be the same.
I promise everyone I will post lots of photos ASAP of my little Aztec.

Mama Mia

Reaction score
HI
Here are a couple of photos of the caves and hides that I was telling you about in my earlier post, I just figured out how to add them, nd she will do custom ones how ever you would like.

Attachments

• 5_zpsf2521b5a.jpg
    5_zpsf2521b5a.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 818
  • 9_zpsfa6026dc.jpg
    9_zpsfa6026dc.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 666
  • cvs.JPG
    cvs.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 3,186

Morrison

Reaction score
Does anyone have an awesome DIY idea? I'm in a hypercreative mood.

SariYappa

Reaction score
Dolores, what is your temple made of? Can you drill a hole in it, and mount it to some foam, and expand on the theme? PROJECT! :D

Mia, those hides look great... Mind if I ask what type of material they are made of?
And I'm really sorry to hear you are one of the unfortunate ones in the Tornado's path, it must have been devastating :confused:

Tephra

Reaction score

Mama Mia

Reaction score
:D@SariYappa, I don't mind telling you these are made of clay, I got these from a lady in the UK she will make custom orders all you have to do is shoot her an e-mail and easy pezy
If you would like more info for her PM me I don't know if we are allowed to give out info like that on here.

And yes the tornado was horrid, never had I seen anything like it, there were 2 that hit our town almost exactly 12 hours apart, the 2nd one got my home and those around me. We found money from the bank 4 miles away on the rail road tracks, some of mine and a few of the people that lived close by our papers and some photos were found over 150 miles away.
Thanks for your thoughts,

Mia

tory990

Reaction score
here's a photo and I will find a link for you that gives the information and how to. it's a project to do but it is worth it!
ra7udybe.jpg

That looks awesome. Id love to set mine up that way.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1