Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: My Axos Change Colour Like a Chameleon!

ky4nn4

Reaction score
We had a 100% wild-type clutch 4 months ago! I have some of them in white bins and some in aquariums. The ones in the aquariums are significantly darker than the ones in the bins.
Out of curiosity, I took some of them out of the aquarium and back into a bin, and they changed from dark to light in a matter of hours. The conditions of both habitats are the same (same water depth, temperature, aeration). I then took a couple of the lighter ones and put them back in the aquarium and then turned dark again!
Why could this be?
Here's a picture of 2 of them from an aquarium now in a bin. One has been there for several hours and the other (darker) just a couple of minutes.
tumblr_msk4ucSTQy1qa9qwgo1_400.png

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me that such young axolotls would do something like that. Being as little as they are, they would make easy prey out in the wild. The more they blend into their surroundings, the safer they will be.

mikeg

Reaction score
I was thinking mood axies......Like the mood rings that change color depending on your mood LOL:rofl:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!