Illness/Sickness: Super worried owner!

Grumpyeel

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Today we went to feed him some earthworms and noticed that he wasn't all that interested and in the process of chasing him down to feed him my girlfriend noticed something in the back corner of the tank. We investigated and found that it was a half eaten worm. We sucked it up with the baster and noticed there was a mealworm from when we tried to feed him those and more bits of worm. So we took up his grass and investigated and found a bit more then we watched him. I noticed that he was throwing up. we never seen this before and it is very odd. Since we first seen him do it, He did it about 4 times.

We recently upped his worm intake. He loved it the first 3 days (we did this because we read that his head should be about the size of his body and he sure wasnt that big) now today he didn't want to eat and we found that worms and he was vomiting. On top of that he has been pooping a lot more like big puddles of brown. but i assume that was because of the food. Could it of been a bad worm?i always make sure they are alive and clean the mud off them.

What kind of earthworms do you have? Are they store bought, or did you dig them up? Or do you have a worm farm? Sometimes, store bought worms will have chemicals and other nasty things in them. If you dig worms up from your yard, there's always a chance that they will have chemicals as well, such as pesticides and fertilizers.

If you absolutely have to buy worms, ask around at bait shops and find out if they have any organic worms. There's also a brand called DMF Bait Co. that a lot of people around this site use that haven't caused any problems for their axolotls.

For the time being, don't feed him. Allow him to pass whatever it is that's gotten into his system, and then try feeding him something different. Salmon or shrimp pellets work well as part of an axolotl's diet and won't make them sick.

Is the axolotl vomiting them or just spitting the worms out ? An axolotl who is not hungry will often grab some food on reflex , realise it is not hungry and spit it out and they will do it more than once, they are not very bright.

I'd say you've been over feeding, and he's regurgitating. How big is your axie? Mine are 8-9" and have 1 worm each a day, maybe 2 if they are only small ones. And mine are plump.

If you feel you need to feed up a skinny axie you need to feed them twice a day, rather than just more worms at a daily feed.

Can you post a picture to help assess your axie's size and proportion?

Also if they are red wigglers they emit a bitter substance that can make an axie vomit

It does sound to me like the sudden increase in food has upset his tummy and metabolism - I can also testify that axxies will grab food even if they're not hungry and then vomit it up because they've eaten too much. It's also true that red wrigglers can secrete a gross substance that tastes foul and can make them sick - 'blanching' them (washing them in a dash of hot water) will ensure they're shocked enough not to secrete this substance. It may also be the worms you are feeding are too large. Galaxy has sucked down worms the length of her body before without issues but has sometimes vomited it up because it is too large and wiggles too much in her stomach. Blanching and/or cutting the worm with scissors will prevent this from happening.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back