Question: Reading and reading, but still questions :-)

SariYappa

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
~Sari
And reading, and reading... LOL
Hello :happy: OK, so there are some comments I see often, but don't see enough specifics. Maybe you guys can help me? I don't have an axolotl yet, but I want at least 2 :)

1. "You can have more than 1 Axolotl if your tank is big enough"...
What, exactly, is big "enough"? LOL

My plan so far is to have a 50 gallon tank (because the space I have is only 47 1/2" long (USA) which is a 1/2" shy for a 55 or bigger). I would like to start with 2 axolotls. So, is it large enough if I give hiding spaces and lots of plants?

2. "They should be OK together if they are the same size"...
Is this true? Other people told me not to put 2 axolotls together until they are older...
I would like to start them off social, but not if they will hurt eachother :confused:

3. "I like to hold my axie in my hand when he eats"...
Ummm, is this because you put your hand in the water, or can they actually be taken out of the tank for a set period of time to play with them??

4. "Don't fill the tank all the way to the top"...
Is this because they will jump out? Do they get any 'out of water' time? (I didn't think so?)
Brings me to
4b. How deep is too deep? Is there such a thing? Do they ever go to the top to 'breathe'? Can they swim high up with ease? Can I actually drown him? :eek:

5. Eggs, hatchlings, or babies?? I am used to bringing up baby animals, and rescuing adults as well. I think I really want to start from the beginning with my axolotls... So 'which' beginning should I start with? (Keeping in mind I will be done researching the size I get, before getting them) what size is more commonly available?
Brings me to
5b. How can I get them in South Carolina, from where, and will they be available in each stage?? May become a moot point. :yin-yang:

Thanks for reading my long, newbie post... I'm like a sponge, and soaking it all in! :p

And reading, and reading... LOL
Hello :happy: OK, so there are some comments I see often, but don't see enough specifics. Maybe you guys can help me? I don't have an axolotl yet, but I want at least 2 :)

1. "You can have more than 1 Axolotl if your tank is big enough"...
What, exactly, is big "enough"? LOL

My plan so far is to have a 50 gallon tank (because the space I have is only 47 1/2" long (USA) which is a 1/2" shy for a 55 or bigger). I would like to start with 2 axolotls. So, is it large enough if I give hiding spaces and lots of plants?

2. "They should be OK together if they are the same size"...
Is this true? Other people told me not to put 2 axolotls together until they are older...
I would like to start them off social, but not if they will hurt eachother :confused:

3. "I like to hold my axie in my hand when he eats"...
Ummm, is this because you put your hand in the water, or can they actually be taken out of the tank for a set period of time to play with them??

4. "Don't fill the tank all the way to the top"...
Is this because they will jump out? Do they get any 'out of water' time? (I didn't think so?)
Brings me to
4b. How deep is too deep? Is there such a thing? Do they ever go to the top to 'breathe'? Can they swim high up with ease? Can I actually drown him? :eek:

5. Eggs, hatchlings, or babies?? I am used to bringing up baby animals, and rescuing adults as well. I think I really want to start from the beginning with my axolotls... So 'which' beginning should I start with? (Keeping in mind I will be done researching the size I get, before getting them) what size is more commonly available?
Brings me to
5b. How can I get them in South Carolina, from where, and will they be available in each stage?? May become a moot point. :yin-yang:

Thanks for reading my long, newbie post... I'm like a sponge, and soaking it all in! :p

1. You can judge if your tank is big enough by following one of two rules: either 10 US gallons per axolotl OR 1ft per axolotl (plus 1ft for plants and ornaments etc)

2. At around 4 inches they occasionally get aggressive with each other. Once they are around 6 inches they stop. Having lots of hiding places and making sure they get lots of food should minimise bites, some people never have a problem with attacking. alternately a divider can help while they are small until they get past the cannibalistic stage.

3. This is done under the water. An axie can live out of the water from anywhere between 5 minutes and an hour and a half, but that's kind of like saying "a human can live underwater for 3-9 minutes". It's not healthy or safe and you shouldn't ever do it on purpose (except when trying to force-feed or moving from one tank to another)

4. Yes it's because SOME axolotl will jump out. Most won't though. If you have a lid then fill it as high as you want. It should, at the very least, be as deep as they are long.

5. It's difficult to ship axies after they have hatched, so if you need to buy them from another state you may be better getting them as eggs. Once they are on live food, however, they will be MUCH easier to feed and harder to kill. This is usually around 4cm (or is it inches? I don't remember) at this stage they will have all of their legs.
5b. You can buy them at any stage, you'll just have to see if you can find a breeder in your area. Check the "for sale" section of the forums. Eggs are only available at certain times of the year, usually in winter rather than summer. You may have to wait if that's what you're after.

Hope that helped!

2. Axies of different sizes may not get on - sometimes big ones will pick on smaller ones, sometimes smaller ones (under 4") get cannibalistic, but not always. Same size gives you less chance on sqaubbles.

3. you can train your axie to sit in your hand to be fed - they sit in one palm while the other hand offers a worm. NEVER take an axie out of his tank unless it's an emergency - they are aquatic.
Which brings us on to:

4. You cannot technically drown an axie, but they do like to gulp air - they have rudimentary lungs. So you need a small (2") gap between the water and the lid.

Otherwise - what Quentari said!

Wow! Thank you so much Quentari, and Auntiejude. Great info. I am feeling more and more prepared. Here is my plan so far...

50 US gallon tank (36 inches by 18 inches by 18 inches)
I have an awesome space between the dining room and kitchen that is cut out of the wall, with a flat top surface. We will reinforce the area, just to be sure... But we've had our Turtles and our Bearded dragon there in the past :)

I am going to look for the foam it talks about for under the tank, to help make the weight evenly distribute.
I think I will try a bare bottom tank to begin with... But if I have the tank long enough before I find babies, you never know what project I may take on (silicone a substrate down, make a rock looking background, etc). Or maybe slate from around my outside pond... Hmmm

I have been searching craigslist (do you have that in other countries?) for a chiller and canister filter. We have all kinds of neat things to decorate with, for hiding and playing, and walking under water :)

It does tend to get very hot here in the South during May through September, so I won't bother trying without a chiller.

I would also like to do the live plant thing... Since we will have a chiller anyway, i don't think having a plant light should be much of a problem. I've been reading up on the anubius and other plants that can live on low light, and in cold temps. I plan to set the water around 65 degrees F, is that right?

Question about plants: anyone successful keeping plants in containers for bare bottom tanks?
If not, what is best to "plant" them in that is easy and safe?

Question: I saw pics of a fish bowl lying on its side, IN the big tank, for feeding. Is this a good idea, or a necessity? (Looks cool) Or will the Axi not be able to tell there is glass there, and run into it??

Question: are they good with reflections of themselves?

So much to learn, but the best part will be learning while I watch!!

Thanks for being here for me and other newbies :)

Plants: Plants that can do without artificial light are fine. Pondweed, moss balls, anubia are all fine, it's really trial and error with your specific conditions. Axie's instinctively root in 'soil' or substrate for grubs and invertebrates and will probably dig up plants in pots. But they might not - again trial and error. Plastic plants are good though, I have 2 plastic, 1 silk, 3 moss balls and pondweed in my tank.

Feeding jar/bowl: really a necessity if you're using sand as a substrate, but not if you are hand feeding. If you have more than one axie I'd recommend hand feeding or one will clean the dinner plate before anyone else gets a look-in. Axies run into really obvious brightly coloured ornaments, so they will run into clear glass too - they are not that smart!

Reflections: I don't know if axies can see their reflection, but they are not territorial so it won't matter either way. Makes for some great photos though!

I have a tank about that size, I have 4 axies, I have a siliconed-down-sand-on-acrylic-plate base, a plastic tree stump, a log tunnel, a plastic skull (my axies poop under it!) and a bubble curtain bubbler. I also have 2 plastic plants, 1 silk, 3 moss balls and pondweed in my tank.

And if you're getting real plants watch out for snails - they sneak in on plants, so you might want to quarantine your plants first.

Again, Thanks!
I was looking at your pics... Pinky in the bubbles is adorable! I thought they didn't like bubbles?? Or is it just that they stress from fast moving water?

Do I understand correctly that the moss balls, and pond weed are live, but you don't give them artificial light? Do you ever put a light on in your tank?

And hand feeding... Why would I not? Heehee That is going to be one of the highlights of having them :)

I don't have light in my tank, and yes the marimo moss balls and the pondweed are live.

Some axies love bubbles, some don't - all 4 of mine have done the bubble-surfing thing, Pinky thinks it's great fun! She's a bit bigger now, and she can't fit all her body in the stream of bubbles, so she ends up a bit wonky :lol:
As long as axies have somewhere to excape from a flow created by the filter or bubbles they are fine - mine sleep at the opposite end to the bubbler where there is a very gentle current.

I recommend kats aquatics for a breeder willing to ship I got my last one from her and I love him..I think she is on this site under the name wanttoknow she also had a fb..also I have 5 axies in a 55 gal filled to the top and sizes from 4 inches to 7 inches and they all get along great..congratulations on your future axie :)

I have been putting food inside a glass jar for my guy and after the initial suspicion he has had no trouble with the jar (he won't eat the FOOD, but oh well, it's a start!) I do take it out of the tank after an hour or so because it takes up room otherwise.

Because no one touched on it, the best temperature for the tank would be around 65-68F. Anything lower and their metabolism will slow, any higher and they may suffer from heat exhaustion. They can tolerate temperatures in the low 70s, but that's mainly only during summer months and they don't exactly enjoy it.

Wonderful guys... Thanks to each of you for the great replies. :)

Liz, I am checking out Kats page now :)

That's great! Hope you find one you like I got a little wild one :)

She has great prices and they look adorable.

I'm hoping they are really young cause I want him or her to grow with us... I think I want 1 leucistic, and one wild... But i don't want to jump the gun either... I don't have the tank set up yet. Very hard to find a 50 US gallon high tank, I don't have but a 47" space, and the 55us gallon and up are 48" :mad:

At any rate, it's a great source, and before your recommendation, I had none ;)

I will try to be patient... This is my mantra these days :tongue:

Quick question: can you tell the exact color... and the sex... When they are very young?

Most breeders will only sell their axolotl babies when they are 3-4" long, and by that time you'll already be able to tell their colors. However, when it comes to determining the sex, it's impossible to tell before they're 8 months old, and even after that they can surprise you.

Got it... Won't know if you'll have babies or not until it's too late... :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back