Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Terrible Axolotl problem

Rossbug

Reaction score
So my dad has had an axolotl for about a year now. It had been doing great until about a week ago. The tank it was in sprung a leak and the entire thing drained. My dad found him in the morning in an empty tank out of water, not sure how long it had been like that. It was still alive, so he put it in a bucket until I could get it and throw it in one of my empty tanks.

I put it in and some of his skin was kind of hanging/peeling off, nothing too bad at first. He was very lethargic at first, but then started swimming around and seemed ok. Maybe about a day later I noticed the skin on his entire belly was turning fluffy and white. After about a day of this the entire patch of skin on his belly started peeling off. When it all came off it was red and raw looking underneath, as if you were to skin your knee on the pavement outside.

Now the horrible part. After about a day or two of this his guts started to hang out of his stomach. Just a tiny bit was visible at first, but within 24 hours it was horrible and large amounts of guts and organs and other stuff is hanging out from a big rip in his stomach. He is still alive and swimming a bit, but I think he must be in terrible pain? Should I put him out of his misery? If so what would be the best way to do it? Something quick and painless. I know axolotls can regenerate limbs, but I don't think this is something that can be fixed.

Also, does anyone have any kind of explanation as to what happened? Has anyone ever experienced anything similar?

HayleyK

Reaction score
Wow poor guy!! I think it's best to get vet help immediately. Keep him in a cool clean dechlorinated tub and get searching for vets. I've read once a vet said there was nothing they can do and the owner kind of "restuffed" it and patched it up somehow and it survived.. But I wouldn't really know how to go about this. Definitely need the vet. If it gets worse before you can reach the vet and you think it is best for him I have attached a link...

Wishing your little dude pulls through

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/euthanasia.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1