Cloudy white stuff?

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Rhiannon
I have no idea what this stuff is. It's been showing up in my tank at random times for a few weeks now. It's sort of cloudy white looking, almost like fungus, but it's not as....wispy? I guess that's the best word. I tried to get a good picture but phone cameras don't capture it the right way. The last time I had it, it was on a plastic plant, and it was COVERED. I was really worried about it, so I took the plant out, stuck it in boiling water, and replaced it afterward. Now it's on my mopani log. It doesn't seem to be harming Monster at all, but it still worries me.

The parameters are as follows:
pH: 7.8
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: Below 0.5
Water Hardness: Soft-Hard
Temperature: Right around 68F

The tank is right near being cycled, I still have a couple of weeks to go, but I've been keeping a close eye on it and Monster is still happy and healthy.

I don't know if this will help, but I also have a blue mystery snail in the tank. I don't think it's the cause of the white stuff though, in fact I found it on the log munching on the stuff when I went to do a water change earlier.

Sometimes this happens to me when I leave a crumb of a pellet in the tank, the crumb becomes a white fluffy thing and I take it out immediately. What do you feed ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I feed Monster with pieces of Nightcrawler, and shrimp sinking pellets, but I always make sure to only feed him as much as he will eat, and take out anything he can't find or doesn't want.

Can you post a photo? It would help identify the 'white stuff'.
And what type of water conditioner do you use? Ones that contain aloe vera have been known to create cloudy slime.

If I can get a good shot of it in the morning, I'll be sure to snap a picture. And the type of conditioner I'm using is Tetra AquaSafe.

EDIT: I went digging around for a while, and found out that it's a type of fungus that likes to latch onto pieces of driftwood. It's harmless to fish, though it does look kind of nasty. Apparently if I just leave it be and let the tank go through its cycle, the good bacteria will eventually cause it to die off and I won't have to worry about it anymore. If it happens to become a problem, it seems I could get myself some ghost shrimp, which seem to love feeding on the stuff just as much as axolotls like feeding on the shrimp.

Just in case though, I'm going to suck up any bits I happen to find whenever I go about my usual siphoning duties.

For anybody curious, I found the information in this site here, among other places just for further confirmation: The Fishtank: White Growth on Red Moore roots? Causes and a quick fix

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back