Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question about bubble walls

stitchpunk

Reaction score
I am contemplating trying one out seeing as they don't cost much and some axles seem to like them from what I've been reading. But the air pump I have is really noisy - too much so to use in our lounge. Are some air pumps quieter than others? Or could I connect the bubble wall to the Venturi valve on my Fluval U1 filter instead?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yes, some pumps are quieter than others! If you get a cheap one it's likely to be noisy, a decent brand will usually be better. Ours is a little Interpet Evolution - whisper quiet.

You could try connecting your air stone to the pump air valve too - see if it works.

emmyk

Reaction score
I bought the cheapest pump and its really really quiet. Haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

elfelty

Reaction score
I bought a Tetra Whisper Air Pump (10 gallon) on Amazon for $7.49 It's super quiet! Right now it's bubbling my bbs but I think when I'm done hatching those I'll use it for a bubble wall. As long as nothing is touching it, it doesn't seem to make a noise at all. Though my house is typically pretty noisy itself with kids and dogs and whatnot :D

Tephra

Reaction score
An air pump can make a lot of noise, especially when its "feet" aren't as shock-taking as they promise to be on the box. I've had that several times.

Air pumps on their own tend not to make lots of noise; it's the vibration against whatever they're standing on that makes the noise. You can remedy this by placing them on a folded towel or a rag or something, to buff out the noise. Works like a charm :)

stitchpunk

Reaction score
Hah, well I tried a few things but no matter what it was noisy and vibrating away like.....well, I'm not going to say :D guess I'll put this idea on hold till I can afford to get a quieter one.

snuggly time

Reaction score
I stand my air pumps on sponges as I have two tanks in my bedroom. The sponge seems to reduce the noise significantly. They will never be silent though.

Tephra

Reaction score
True. They will always make noise, but you can reduce the amount of noise they make.

Still, if you think this is loud... try installing a chiller. Now THOSE are noisy.

layna

Reaction score
I have found the best way to make my air pump quietest was to tie a scarf at the ends so it was in a loop, hook it over something near the tank and pop the pump into the bottom of it, it just hangs in the scarf and has nothing to vibrate against. If you can live with a scarf there haha then id recommend trying it.

What do you mean by a bubble wall? Just a long air stone so the bubbles are more spread out?

I dont think my air pump is strong enough to push the bubbles to the end, do they come in different strengths?

stitchpunk

Reaction score
From what I've seen you can get long air stones, but a bubble wall proper is a piece of what looks like black rubber tubing with tiny holes at regular intervals, and they come in different lengths. I imagine it would make smaller bubbles than an airstone but I don't know for sure.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1