New newt owner needs feedback

MacEwenS

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi!
I recently purchased what I believe to be Chinese fire-belly newts.
I have 4 in an aquarium that holds approx. 36 litres of water, treated with a product to remove chlorine and chloramine that is also supposed to neutralize heavy metals.
I have tested the water recently and got these readings: GH 120
KH 40
ph 7.0
NO2 0
NO3 20.

Temperature is room temp, i.e. 70F.

The tank is in a room that will be considerably cooler during the winter months.

The newts have grown a lot since I acquired them in May and 3 out of 4 are about 3 inches long. The 4th is smaller, about 2 inches.

My concerns and questions: our municipal water is hard, GH 120, but I am able to reduce this to about GH 60 by filtering through a charcoal Brita filter. What would be the best hardness for newt health?

Is the present 70F temp a serious problem?

Any other suggestions that come to mind?

Siusaidh :happy:

water temp is usually about 4 degrees below room temp so they are at 66 which is fine :)

As for the hardness I have read newts do better in hard than soft but I do not know exactly HOW hard that is.

manila has very hard tap water but my newts do fine! do you have lots of plants in there? newts love plants! do you feed them earthworms? they love those too! the fact they've grown so much is an indication that they're healthy so you must be doing it right :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back