Exotic pet insurance

Alkylhalide

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have just thought about this and I am wondering if anybody else ever considered or has exotic pet insurance on their axolotls? Ive never brough an axolotl to the vet, but from past experience in bring my rats to the vet, it is 76$ just to bring one in for antibiotics. Its 40$ just to bring them in every visit. One rat the total bill was 300$!
And I am going to assume and amphibian would cost even more expecially since they need to administer the antibiotics. And whatever else may go wrong requiring surgery( i dont even want to think about a surgery on a axolotl!)
And with an axolotls long lifespan, every axolotl surely must have to go for at least one vet visit in their life( give or take if you actually take them when they need to go)
Just would like some opinions or if I am the only one that has thought of it

I would make sure you have a vet who can treat axies AND takes the insurance before I bought it.

Well I can't find a UK insurance provider for amphibians at all! I can find some for other exotic pets - reptiles, parrots, llamas, small furry things of any type, owls, even hedgehogs - but not amphibians.

I think I would have to speak to my local exotics vet and see if he can recommend a plan. He must have a provider if he treats exotic pets.....right?

That is very true. I wish my exotics vet could treat amphibians but there is only one in my area.

Its so hard to find vets to treat anything around here except small mammals and horses and cows. Its very frustrating.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I have mine insured with exotic pets direct, I had the leaflet from my local vet and have also seen copies of it in my local branches of pets at home.

I have mine insured with exotic pets direct, I had the leaflet from my local vet and have also seen copies of it in my local branches of pets at home.
I looked on their website, couldn't find anything about amphibians! It's probaly covered in the small print 'if your pet is not listed here please contact us'.I think I'll drop them an email. Do you mind me asking how much it is and what it covers? Can you PM me please xx?
Incidentally, my household insurance covers any tanks I have, any damage cause by a tank breakage (e.g. damaged carpet & furniture), any structural damage to walls floor etc, caused by water leaking from a tank (or broken tank), but not replacing any 'livestock' in the tank.

I looked on their website, couldn't find anything about amphibians! It's probaly covered in the small print 'if your pet is not listed here please contact us'.I think I'll drop them an email. Do you mind me asking how much it is and what it covers? Can you PM me please xx?
Incidentally, my household insurance covers any tanks I have, any damage cause by a tank breakage (e.g. damaged carpet & furniture), any structural damage to walls floor etc, caused by water leaking from a tank (or broken tank), but not replacing any 'livestock' in the tank.
Hey! So I realise this was years and years ago but I wondered if you’d found a solution as I’m in the U.K. and struggling to find an insurance provider for my newts

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back