Perspex

HayleyK

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
I'm thinking of making my own "shelves" for the little guys to swim up to and rest on ( sometimes I think they want to chill half way up the tank but can't be bothered to sit there half floating). Obviously i would use suction cups and aquarium silicon and let it cure for 7 days but I was wondering if I can use acrylic or Perspex glass/plastic? Will it leech any chemical?

I was also thinking of using perspexs with multiple holes in it over the summer to let the fan blow over it without feeling worried they will jump out, do you think it will block too much flow, if so any other suggestions how to cover the tank openings to allow a fan to blow over the surface? Mesh?

I don't know about the perspex, but I was wondering what size tank you have. It depends on the axolotl, but during the summer when I have the fans on, I just leave the top off.... I have. 20high and my axie doesn't even go towards the surface. I check on him constantly though lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I don't have the height measurements on me, but it's 165L (43-ish gallons 3ft long unsure of actual width and height as im at tafe) and its quite full about an inch or two from the top, and they seem to like it quite deep (I've experimented with levels and they aren't stressed at all - besides 1 of them two weeks ago and that's the first floating problem I've ever had .. He was constipated lol). Both my axolotls love shooting up for a gulp .. And it's not due to stress or water quality.. And I've already experience my first axolotl jumping out of the tank when I didn't have a lid on so I definitely need a lid as I'm usually at Tafe or work during the day.

If it helps with suggestions my 3ft tanks opening is 1ft lid, 1ft silicones glass, 1ft lid if that meals sense? The middle foot is permanently fixed.

I know you have said about making your own but you can buy them designed for showers for a couple of pound each :D

I have a couple in each tank and they are just flat see through shelves with suction cups attached already.

You can get corner ones or long ones or deep ones and if you wanted to decorate them you could always just silicone stuff to them like sand ect

i just looked around for a bit on ebay and google searching for 'shower caddy/shelf/holder'

I have been looking at them in stores and could only find metal. Thanks for the advice! Does it hold their fatty weight :lol:

Yeah haha they are designed to hold bottles of shampoo ect so they support axies weight.

I got mine off ebay but im sure if you went to a home ware store they would have a couple hiding somewhere, or try amazon :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back