Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What am I looking at here...?

Beaniepompom

Reaction score
Hey guys
I have had my axolotl, Angstrom for a little bit over a year now so I guess it makes him 1.5 years old.

About 7 months ago I noticed a tiny fleck of something jet black on his tail. For some silly reason, I assumed that it may have been a bit of carbon from the filter that had magically stuck to him. I tried to rub it off with my finger, only to realise that it was most definitely a part of Angstrom.
It has never really bothered me as I thought it may have been what some would call a beauty spot. However, it has been brought to my attention that it is significantly bigger than it was even 3 months ago and I guess I am wondering whether or not I should be worried...

Also, I guess while I am here... I would appreciate if anyone could help me sex Angstrom?
Most days I think Angstrom is a girl while other days I feel Angstrom may be a boy. I have assumed that Angstrom is a girl just because I feel as though the bump between his legs isn't quite big enough to be considered a male attribute, and I guess he is a bit stocky, similar to a female axolotl.
Regardless, I would love anyone's input.
Many thanks
I have attached some images of Angstrom.

Attachments

• IMG_2868.jpg
    IMG_2868.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_2869.jpg
    IMG_2869.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 482

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
I doubt you have anything to worry about here. Just like axolotls can get spontaneous lumps and bumps, they can also gain random markings and quirks as they age. As long as your axolotl isn't acting strangely or possibly trying to nip at that spot on its tail, everything should be fine.

Also, to answer your second question; seems to me your axolotl is a girl. The cloaca isn't apparent enough, plus the plump belly and wide head are also good indicators.

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
Just now realized your axolotl is even a leucistic Now you definitely have nothing to worry about. Leucistic axolotls tend to develop random dark patches.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I say he's a boy. The easiest way to tell is to look from above - if you can see the cloaca from above it's a boy. It's hard to tell on a leucistic on pale sand!

That spot could be anything - a wart/growth, a clotted bruise, a freckle. But if it's not bothering your axie I wouldn't worry. My albino developed on of those, it went away after a couple of weeks and I assumed it was just a small injury.

mewsie

Reaction score
Looks like a boy to me!

He also looks really healthy - the spot could be all manner of things as everyone has said. Keep an eye on it, perhaps keep taking pictures so that you can track it's size and shape, and be prepared to take Angstrom to a vet if he needs it.

Beaniepompom

Reaction score
Thanks for the help - I have put up some more photos... sorry it's a bit grainy, energy saver light-bulbs aren't as bright as incandescent ones.

There is an ever so slight bump on either side when I look at him from above but again... I could be swayed to think it was a boy OR a girl at this point... Surely it is not because he is not old enough at this stage though?

Attachments

• IMG_2903.jpg
    IMG_2903.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_2904.jpg
    IMG_2904.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 192

Beaniepompom

Reaction score
thanks jess! :)

Trade Me - Listings from saibot20

that is the person I bought him from just over a year ago now.

I could spam this entire website with photos of Angstrom.
I have rearranged the tank divider so his little sister has the section near my computer now and he has retaliated by digging through all the sand trying to get back to the spot he used to hang out in to watch me while I am studying: i think he is trying to make a point that he doesn't want a little sister.

Attachments

• IMG_2906.jpg
    IMG_2906.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 177
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!