Trying to save them

liznewton85

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Liz
There are four axolotls I am trying to get ..the guy who has them said next week I'm just hoping he doesn't change his mind..he said he didn't feed them much last winter and now just gives them a handful of fish every couple weeks. they are five yrs old. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do if I'm able to save them about their gills he said they were shrinking for about a yr before they stopped..Will they grow back? Also would I feed them very little at first abs slowly get it to a normal feeding?

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 242
Oh also there are four in a 10 gallon he said it's their holding tank they will be in from now on so he can sell their big tank

Once you have them try feeding them either earthworms or pellets (much better staples than fish) and I'd suggest going for feeding only a little at a time, but feeding them more than once a day.

As for the gills they might grow back a little once in a big tank with good clean water and an airstone or sponge filter. At the very least they should get more fluffy, sometimes there's not much you can do to get them to grow.

10 gallons is too small, but I'm guessing you knew that. Hopefully once you have them you can fatten them up and have them looking healthy again!

Worms - little and often is the best way to fatten them up. And you would be amazed at axolotls' capacity to recover physically.

Thank you so much guys..I'm just hoping he doesn't change his mind and I can get them next week ..I feel bad for them Im amazed at what these little creatures can endure

Sounds like a hoarder, hope you save those guys and this guy never buys another pet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back