Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank Invasion!

auntiejude

Reaction score
I have just done a water change in by big axie tank, and I have come across not just 1 but 2 species of invaders!
Pond snails - not unusual, the eggs usually hitch a ride in on plants. Easy enough to get rid of, and they make a reasonable axie snack while still small (my axies are 8"+ and can easily handle a 1/4" smail) and we've had a few before.

But :eek: I also found about a dozen damsel fly nymphs! How the **** did they get in there?! I certainly haven't had any damsel flies in my living room!
I haven't had any new plants in there for months, so they must have come in with the river shrimp. (Which means I must speak to my LFS about it)

So my question is will they have done any harm to my tank or my axies if they have managed to chomp on a few? I'm guessing not....

liznewton85

Reaction score
Oh no the same thing happened to me! We tried for weeks to get rid of them but my sand was that play sand and too thick they were in my canister filter and everything we ended up taking the sand out and cleaning the whole tank it was horrible..of course ours was an extreme case and they were flying in my other tanks so had to act quick you won't always have to do what we did..good luck though hopefully you caught it early and it'll be an easy fix!

auntiejude

Reaction score
Oh I'm pretty sure they are damsel flies (hubby knows about these things!), and I figured they would form part of an axie's natural diet in the wild.

I have released them into our water butt, where hopefull they will feast on mozzie larvae etc and turn into beautiful damsel flies next summer!

I found one in the shrimp & guppy tank too, hope there aren't any more!

liznewton85

Reaction score
My problem wasn't the flies but their larvae too many worms all over the place we were infested glad to hear yours doesn't sound too bad

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!