Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pothos plant in tank

layna

Reaction score
So i read a thread on here and in a post someone had mentioned that pothos plants were great for helping with nitrATEs so i decided to get one, now im sure the post said only put the roots in the water but this is where my confusion comes from.

Do you remove all the mud and pot and everything and just put the bare roots in the water?

Does the plant need mud if its getting nitrates from the water?

I was thinking i might just remove all the mud, put the roots in the foot of some tights (so the axies cant eat them, but loose enough so the roots have room to grow) and put it on my shower caddy near the surface so its only the roots in the water, would this be okay?

If the plant does need mud ect, then how do you put only the roots in water, witout the mud leeching into the tank?

Thanks for any help i get :D

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I rinsed off all the mud and suspend my plants in the tank along the out let pipe. I also use Tradescantia. My outlet pipe runs along the back of the tank and is now covered in all sorts of things such as Lichen and a yet to be identified plant :D

layna

Reaction score
Hehe im not sure what an outlet pipe is in a tank :confused:
Im thinking along the right lines then with removing the mud? Would you do it for all plants you were adding to the tank?
Im thinking of adding more because the corner shower tray is quite large so i could sit more plants on it and im hoping they would help with the nitrates.

Will any house plant you add survive with just water? :uhoh:

SariYappa

Reaction score
This is great info, I want to do this too. :D
Julia, can you post pics of your plants, and your outlet pipe? (I'm also not sure what that is)

I'd love to see the shower Caddy that's being used as well...
Can I hijack your thread with another plant question?

Question: I have a floating plant that does great with nothing at all (no light, plant food, etc) that was in with my african pygmy frog. He died, but the plant is still growing LOL

Is it OK to just let this float around with my future axie? It multiplies like crazy, even when Froggy would nibble on the roots :p

layna

Reaction score
What plant is it you have, i have no light in my tank and ive tried two different types of floating plants that have just slowly fallen apart and died :mad:

Erm my shower caddy looks like this Bathroom CORNER SHOWER CADDY ORGANIZER soap shampoo tub shelf tray rack suction | eBay

I have been thinking about siliconing sand all over it so it looks more natural in my tank hehe just not gotten round to it, my plants sit on the caddy and their leaves come out the top of my tank so i can see the pretty colours.

I have another question if anyone is willing to help me, im wanting to add more plants to my tank but for the purposes of lowering the nitrATE level would it be more useful to use, marginal (semi aquatic) plants or just terrestrial plants?

SariYappa

Reaction score
This is what I have from Froggy's tank... No idea what it's called, but I have to cut it back and throw pieces away quite often...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 10,903

layna

Reaction score
Haha i have no idea what that is :O

Im still stuck on terrestrial or marginal plants to add to my tank, ive googled it loads and its pretty much 50/50 on the verdict but some people are insisting that house plants are better at it, because they grow faster maybe? *sigh* :confused:

SariYappa

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know what it's called :-( I will have to find out soon so I know if it's safe!

I think the house plants are only for the top of the tank, since they are not really aquatic...
But if you want ones that stay inside the tank, they should be fully aquatic.

First decision you need to make: do you want to use a light? And if yes, can you keep the water cool enough for your axies ;)

Then you can choose the correct species plant for your tank, with some trial and error, of course :talker:

Good luck :happy:

layna

Reaction score
oh haha no I already have my aquatic plants in my tank I want some to come out the top with just the roots in but I dont know weather to get semi submerged ones or just typical house plants

hairypumpkin

Reaction score
I was getting ready to make a thread similar to this.

I want plants in my tank too (like yours, sitting in a shower caddy) that hang over the side and are just on the surface. I thought about getting some plants from the pond/outdoors section at my aquarium shop, but if I can just use house plants I will get those haha.

I would love to have a creeping plant, like a sweet potato bush.

What kind of plant requirements would I need to look for?

EDIT: ahh, I see pothos grows like a vine. I may get some of that.

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
I've heard bamboo plants do well as semi-aquatic tank additions. There are also certain types of succulents which do well with tanks too. I'm actually thinking of using bamboo in my own tank soon. You could also use pond plants such as water lilies, that is if your tank is in a well lit area or has a tank light.

Ian T

Reaction score
I've been trying Houseplants, for a low creeping plant I've tried a variety of Ficus - I think it's called "Creeping Fig", this seems to be growing well. I've just trapped the roots between the glass and the edge of a magnetic turtle dock. I also drilled a hole in cork bark and poked the roots through to create a floating platform with shelter on.
This grows quite slowly so I guess it won't suck up as many Nitrates as Pothos. I've also tried a Spider plant and Pothos and both are growing well. The problem with these two though is that they will rapidly grow too big for the screen tops on my tanks, not an issue I suppose if you have Axies.

layna

Reaction score
I currently have pothos and I decided to get some semi aquatic plants fron the pond section today, they say they are level 1 which means the roots are fully submerged but not any of the stem, they look like long grass and supposedly grow flowers but I saw one of those creeping fig plants and thought they might be good :)
I guess I'll have to see how mine grow, they have had all the mud removed and I've placed the roots in a bit of chopped up stocking then sat them on my shower caddy to stop any accidental eating haha!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1