I have a worm hater

Morrison

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
My leucistic male lotl won't eat worms. I have him for 1,5 month now and only ate a tiny one in the beginning. Now he hates them. Is there anything I can do?
I rinse them, I tried to feed him smaller ones, bigger ones, other kind of worms but all he eats are the pellets I feed them. But Xotl likes to steal all of them.

Any suggestions? (I'm gonna try bloodworms in a while, but I read the word 'waxworms' often. Are they really axie-okay?)

Or how can I get him on worms? It would be easier for all of us :lol:

I feel your pain. One of mine refuses worms hell snap and spit it he always has.. And loves pellets. I've noticed if I put the worms in hot water to kill them (mean, I know but an axie has to eat!) and then rinse under cold water he occasionally takes them. I don't think he enjoys the struggle of eating live wriggly worms ha ha

Hmm, I'll try that out. Maybe he likes cooked food!

Let us know how he goes with cooked food!

If this all fails, I'll give it a try with chili con carne. Silly axies and their madness. :lol:

The lengths we go for our babies. My parents think I'm mad.

If he still refuses to eat the worms, there are other alternatives you can try. I know there are pellets made specifically for axolotls, though you may have to order online for them. Or, you could try shrimp. Never freeze-dried foods, as they expand in the axolotl's stomach and make them sick. Waxworms are an okay food, but they're pretty fatty and should only be fed as treats or if you have a skinny axolotl.

If you really run out of options, just feed with worms, don't use pellets. Eventually he'll get over not wanting to eat them and scarf a few down.

I have an axie that won't take live food. Luckily he loves my axolotl sinking pellets!!

Hello :)

I had this trouble with my pretty boy. My solution? Fridge the worms! I tried rinsing them and stuff - never worked. Then I read worms can be fridged and still survive. Now my worms get feed worms that have been fridged for at least 24hrs and they LOVE them. And these are red wriggler worms which says a lot with my fussy eaters :)

To me it sounds like he's fixated on the pellets and thats what he wants. There's a solution to a picky axolotl...a hungry axolotl. He won't starve if you skip a feeding or two, and then only offer worms. Eventually he will be hungry enough to eat them.

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2

My male does this - starves himself for weeks, just taking 3 or 4 pellets every day or 2, then gets his appetite back. He prefers waxworms and shrimp to worms, but after 3 days he'll take a worm happily.
Have you tried other live food - river shrimp, cherry shrimp, guppies, minnows etc?
I find river shrimp are fun for the axies to chase, and my baby guppies are almost ready to be lunch...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back