Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Butter Worms?

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
So, I was doing my usual shopping trip, picking up worms for my axolotl. I walked past a shelf and found this little container of something called "Live Butter Worms." They're packaged by DMF Bait Co., too. Has anyone ever heard of them? Have you tried feeding them to your axolotls? Do you think they would be safe? With a name like "butter worm" I would assume they're probably fatty, so they would only be a treat anyway.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Butter worms are a moth larva similar to waxworms, and they are indeed quite high in fat (also protein and calcium). Fine for axies as an occasional treat, but too much fat can cause liver problems.

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
If I were to get some to feed to my 6-month-old, how often would it be okay to feed him one? Once every couple of weeks?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yes, every fortnight should be fine, I feed mine waxworms about the same. Moth larvae keep for ages in the fridge as long as you keep them dry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!