Types of moss???

AshSeek

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys! looking to get some moss, i want it to grow on top of my Axolotl's hideaway/cave... any advise to which type of moss is best? not sure i want anythings really stringy, more like really short, just to cover the area, but open to any ideas... thanks!

:happy: Sounds like x-mas moss would be great for what you are looking for.

Awesome! :) any places you might advise to purchase it from? and do i just need a little(like will it grow around the cave)or need to purchase enough to cover it(like it will only latch on to the spot you have)

Also if anyone knows of any websites to purchase cool axolotl hideaways that would be awesome. ( i have found a few but really interested in expanding search)

Any moss will stay short and thick if you just keep it trimmed down :)
I like java moss and flame moss personally, but there are LOADS of types.

I had a look on ebay for my moss and its just arrived so im quarantining it now. It does grow so you only need to start with a little but im unsure as to how fast it grows.

Also if anyone knows of any websites to purchase cool axolotl hideaways that would be awesome. ( i have found a few but really interested in expanding search)

I find the reptile caves are good, get them cheap in pet shops/eBay

Moss growth is dependent on water conditions and the amount of light it receives. Good water conditions plus lots of natural light equals fast growth. So it just depends on where your tank is situated, really. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't really need a lot of light to grow is Java moss. And like others have said, there are LOTS of different kinds of moss, all with the same basic care needs. So it all just depends on your preference.

I get all of my plants from 2 different sellers on E=Bay and have never had any problems
I am not sure if I am allowed to put the web sites up on here but if you would like to know the ones I use PM me and I will get right back to you ASAP, :happy:.

Thank you all for the answers, i am very thankful and cannot wait to get started :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back