My axolotl lost her markings....

HayleyK

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Hayley
Why and is that normal? They were kind of cute :(

She has been a little off last week and a half - two weeks... I only noticed it today? But looking through some photos they've been kind of fading.

P.s how do I upload photos so people don't have to open in a new window? Like its nice and big

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 291
The second pic looks like it is ammonia burnt, has lost weight and the gills are deteriorating. What are the water peramiters and temp ?

Yeah I originally thought she had some kind of burn because she was yellow blotchy and very veiny. She's been losing weight over 10 weeks for some reason but her appetite crashed completely the previous two weeks but its back on track. There has been three previous posts about her health in these two weeks if you'd like to read back on them.

However it was not a chemical burn. Ammonia was zero, nitrite was zero and nitrate was a very pale orange/ deep yellow so it wasn't that high and that was after a week and a bit without water change. I used two different tests because I was so sure it was ammonia burn but both companies came with the same readings. This was done when I saw a change few weeks ago, since then I've been monitoring water tests every three days and everything is zero. Ph is about 7.4

Shes stopped floating and her skin isn't as bad as it was, and has started eating. However her tank mate was so cruisy and happy. No floating, eating like a monster, quite happy (no signs of stress in gills, tails or behavior) no skin irritation that I could see.

Could you add links to these other posts please :) It is easier to see what is happening if they are kept together...also stops us repeating all the same questions.

Here is my first thread she's not too bad now, floats here and there still blotchy redness/yellowness

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...anum/f58-sick-axolotl/93084-weird-change.html

There is a picture of this thread of her deterioration. Sorry I don't have either photos on my phone anymore.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...axolotl-general-discussion/93240-feeding.html

I also had a "problematic axolotl" thread few days ago. This thread was asking if it was okay to put her in a 4.5 gallon for a while for feeding purposes. 75% water change everyday for 4 days. Bare bottom tank, she improved and is eating fine again so I moved her.

It could be a reaction to the problems she's had - normally leucistc markings get darker as they get older, but not always.

If she is recovering they may come back.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back