Best place to purchase JFBN?

Ineednewts

Reaction score
Country
United States
I dont know if this can be posted here but im going to try. Every place i see them is out of stock and the one place that has them in stock has horrible reviews. Probably why they still have some. Where can i get my hands on some of these id prefer smaller ones.

While i am here any tips on keeping them or feeding them i would appreciate it. :)

Have a look in the 'For Sale' section, they are occasionally advertised there.

Thats why i came here. I have not seen any but i am checking almost every day.
Could anyone tell me why most place are out of stock?

I would think the JFBN found in pet shops will generally be wild caught animals, unfortunately these can be very stressed animals and prone to fatal infections.
Captive bred ones should be stronger. I however would say they take quite a while to raise from egg to being hardy enough for rehoming. I personally find that after morphing from a larva a land dweller they can be a little temperamental with returning to an aquatic state. I am currently 'newt sitting' some newly morphed ones that would rather climb the side of their tub, than sit on the lovely selection of plants provided for them :(
They do occasionally get advertised here and they will be captive bred, you just need to be a little patient and resist falling for a different species :)

Shops carry wild caught animals and the supply might not be flowing as it used to. Regardless, they are not good choices from a costumers perspective, plus supporting the WC market is an ethical issue.
It shouldn´t be too difficult to find breeders. It may take some patience since this is possibly the worst time of the year, but you should be able to find someone who is breeding them (they are very easy to breed).

I found a breeder and we talked alot and everything. And at the end of our conversation turned out we were in different countries. :eek:

So ill just keep my eyes open and stay away from WC. Thanks for the replies. :)

Have you seen the caudata culture article? Sorry I'm horrible at posting links

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back